share rss forum feed

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
reply to Bob4

Re: arris tm 820 modem

said by Bob4:

If you don't have phone service, the battery is used to power the Internet connection.

That's pure, unqualified speculation.

For the Arris modems, both ethernet and VOIP stay up with the battery, there's no dependency whatsoever on whether you have phone service or not.

Yes, the modem will turn off all its LEDs (except POWER) when it goes on battery, but ethernet is definitely up.

I'll go out on a limb, and say that all D3 modems do exactly this, while D2 voice modems may not - the battery life in older-gen hardware just wasn't good enough to keep the ethernet port up and still get more than 4 hours of battery life.

A standalone UPS is your friend in any case, it sure is mine, on top of a modem battery.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by cablewizzard:

said by Bob4:

If you don't have phone service, the battery is used to power the Internet connection.

No, it's not. It's from Arris documentation.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1

said by Bob4:

said by cablewizzard:

said by Bob4:

No, it's not. It's from Arris documentation.

So you wanna quote from an uncited source, instead of actually trying it out? Go ahead, cause I've done that (TM802, 2 OV lines, battery): you're losing this argument.

Even if you can quote the source, power-save options in DOCSIS modems (2.0 and 3.0) are generally configurable to quite an extent: ethernet up/down, LEDs on/off, USB on/off, channel bonding (DS and US separately) on/off, disabling of 1 or more tuners - you get the idea, and YMMV by vendor a bit.

Unplugging your TM8XX from AC power with the battery installed and observing the results will teach you that device documentation, especially publicly available documentation, often has nothing to do with how an MSO actually operates its devices.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Since I don't have the phone service nor a backup battery, I can't do that experiment.

Cablevision documentation makes no reference to Internet service being maintained by a battery backup in the modem. All references are to maintaining voice service.