uniqs
share rss forum feed

steven s
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Dearborn, MI
reply to haroldo

Re: The $199 iPad killer?

I think there is a market for Chromebooks, but I don't think they compete with iPads.

Take my friend, for example. He is using a laptop from 2004 and uses it for work. His work isn't going to replace the machine any time soon, but he wants his own computer to browse the web and do word processing. The Nexus 7 or iPad mini, the tablets comparable in price to a Chromebook, aren't going to do the trick because they lack keyboards (yes, you can get keyboards for them and buy iWork on the iPad, but those add more $$ to the purchase price) and have small screens, and cheap Windows laptops have shitty battery life and are slow. For my friend, the $250 Samsung Chromebook is perfect.

It all comes down to which product best suits your needs.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by steven s:

cheap Windows laptops have shitty battery life and are slow.

No, not really. Not compared to the 6 hour battery life and ARM CPU in the chromebooks. For $50 more, you should get the same battery life and crappy speed from a $300 ASUS with a dual core AMD processor, and it will be an actual real computer with a real OS. For $120 more you can get an actual real laptop.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
said by JohnInSJ:

it will be an actual real computer with a real OS. For $120 more you can get an actual real laptop.

Applications in Chromebook run on Google's Linux computers with full backup. You can also start work on one device and pick it back up on another. You can't do that with any other.
Expand your moderator at work