Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Listening74

join:2012-10-18
v6e-1k2
reply to Cartel

Re: [BC] My games suck because of high ping, what can I do about

I have TELUS Optik package and online games such as Halo Reach and halo 4 are a hit and miss caused by high ping times. My minimum ping to my first hop is no less than 69ms and as high as 200ms. I live in Vancouver downtown and when I try to do video calls to UBC also a hit miss caused by high ping times. I do a trace route to UBC and get no less than 29 hops and hop times as high as 380ms. I would not recommend TELUS to anyone who likes online gaming or talking to friends using video messaging. According to TELUS as long as you have a connection that's all that matters to them, they don't care about latency problems. That is what they told me.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Listening74:

I have TELUS Optik package and online games such as Halo Reach and halo 4 are a hit and miss caused by high ping times. My minimum ping to my first hop is no less than 69ms and as high as 200ms. I live in Vancouver downtown and when I try to do video calls to UBC also a hit miss caused by high ping times. I do a trace route to UBC and get no less than 29 hops and hop times as high as 380ms. I would not recommend TELUS to anyone who likes online gaming or talking to friends using video messaging. According to TELUS as long as you have a connection that's all that matters to them, they don't care about latency problems. That is what they told me.

That is always how ISP's have responded to questions of high ping. It was that way a dozen years ago. Nothing has changed. Part of the problem is the customer's refusal to recognize that their ISP has no control of the network once it leaves their system. If the routing is bad at a peering node or down the line, there is absolutely nothing that the ISP can do about it, much less the individual consumer. For any ISP is indeed all about the connection. Anything more is completely beyond their control.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Listening74

join:2012-10-18
v6e-1k2
What a load of rubbish...With TELUS it is the technology they use, (Interleaved). Before moving to TELUS we had Shaw and online gaming was far better so was Video messenger to Britain, Australia, etc. Moved to TELUS because we were told by TELUS reps that their lower latency, ping times would be even better for online gaming and such. But only after the fact do we find out that TELUS uses Interleaved error correction technology which greatly increases latency making it not so good for online gaming.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Listening74:

What a load of rubbish...With TELUS it is the technology they use, (Interleaved). Before moving to TELUS we had Shaw and online gaming was far better so was Video messenger to Britain, Australia, etc. Moved to TELUS because we were told by TELUS reps that their lower latency, ping times would be even better for online gaming and such. But only after the fact do we find out that TELUS uses Interleaved error correction technology which greatly increases latency making it not so good for online gaming.

Interleaved has always been slower for gaming. And ISPs are loathe to change it.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to Listening74
said by Listening74:

What a load of rubbish...With TELUS it is the technology they use, (Interleaved).

There's no such thing as Interleaved vs. Fastpath on TELUS's new footprint, and TELUS has always supported both modes. There's various levels of impulse noise protection that reflect a latency increase.

There is technology deployed that tries to give you a balance between latency and speed now on TELUS's network. Most users don't care about latency if it's <40ms. The people on this board, and gamers are a very small portion of TELUS subscribers.

Most people would like stable Internet, and not lose sync especially when they have TELUS TV.
--
The more I C, the less I see.