Search similar:

uniqs
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool

Confused about contract position.

I was hired to cover someone for three months. She is now back at work. First my boss said welcome aboard to the company. Then the following week his boss told me they are on a tight budget. A co-worker recently quit and they extended my contract. My boss said it was extended until they get a replacement. Should I be looking for another job? The guy was in Help Desk and they said they possibly might promote me to a NOC Engineer.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Nobody but your boss can answer that question. Ask him or her directly. You are entitled to know this stuff. If they aren't able to give you a concrete answer, I would look for another job and leave this one should you get an offer.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
If their lips are moving, they are lying ...

If they intended to hire you, it would have happened, by stringing you along, they can have the milk without buying the cow.

Nothing you can do about it, look for another job is the smart thing to do, it never hurts to have a backup plan

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01 to brianiscool

to brianiscool
I agree with bionicRod on this one. As a FTE that was a contractor for over a year (on a 3 month contract that gradually slid into full time employment),I agree that the boss or his boss will have to make that call.
They should understand your concerns and respect them, so you shouldn't be afraid of stating your case.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
Should you be looking for a new job?

Extract your key words/phrases:

1) Hired to cover someone for three months
2) Tight budget
3) My boss said it was extended until they get a replacement
4) They possibly might promote me

Just reviewing what you posted, I would look for other employment.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
Look for another job. If your contracted employer was genuinely interested in hiring you as a permanent in the near future they would be having a heart-to-heart talk with you about exactly where you stand and how they feel about the possibility you working for them as a permanent if certain things happen.

Best case scenario is they might hire you eventually but it is unrealistic at this time to depend upon it.

I've seen companies milk contract employees and lie to them so much over the decades it is stunning. In nine out ten times the independent contractor is shown the door so to speak--sometimes even after a job down the road is promised.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to brianiscool

to brianiscool
If your in IT you're always looking for a new job even if you have a perm position you like. You can always get a job closer to home or making more money. Long gone are the days where it pays to stay with the same company. Just remember this: The only person looking out for you is YOU.

Your job can be outsources pretty easy as well so even with a perm job you like you can be shown the door at any minute. Always keep your eyes and ears open for new opportunities.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
As a contract employee, unless told differently, your are employed until the end of the contract. renewals are nice, but not a sure thing. I've been in the situation where 2 weeks before a contract was scheduled to end, the company offered an extension, which I had to turn down becuse I had already contracted somewhere else.

Until they put a FT offer in front of you, you are ending on that contract end date. If you are interested in being a FTE there, before you actually sign your next contract, give your current employer right of first refusal.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
Thought this sounded familiar...
»How do you know if a company likes you?

Being a contract recruiter for 15 years, plan on being there the length of the contract, any extensions are an added bonus. Always have a Plan B, never get caught with your pants down.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I will say one thing about this thread, it sort of stands out in that all most everyone is saying in one form or another the same thing and essentially seem to be near unanimous in their opinion.

You don't find that very often regardless of the topic in an open forum.

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
x2