share rss forum feed

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
reply to plencnerb

Re: Memory test

Thanks for the link, however I am aware of the tool.

I was more curious of the quality of the new tool compared to the old tool of Microsoft's if they are discontinuing the old tool for the newer Win 7 version. I've not delved into Win 8 and if there is an updated version and whether it is cross-platform compatible.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
Software RAM testing has been the same since the early days, the main difference is the chipsets that are supported and the amount of RAM these tools can test. Basically, a software RAM test is about 90% accurate with a thorough runthrough and I don't believe you can hit close to 100% accuracy without a proper hardware RAM tester.

I use whatever version Microsoft put out to pasture whenever they first put it out on systems with less than 4 GB RAM and Memtest86 on systems with more.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I can't argue with that comment..not that was my intention when starting this topic. The memory tool this topic started with found things other tools could not; guess it was one of those defining moments. Hardware testing would be better but is out of the range of the average user.

I will have to just remove myself and accept the newer changes.
Thanks all for the feedback.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke