spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gdtrfb
join:2002-05-17
San Diego, CA

gdtrfb

[CA] Verify MCA is NOT for an Additional Modem on the Account

I've got conflicting information. Can I use MCA (Multiple Computer Access) for an additional modem on my account?

I have two buildings on my property and serving them both from one WiFi access point (modem) is not sufficient. I've added a second modem to my account. Can I use MCA ($6.95 per month) for this modem or do I need to add another complete Internet plan to my account?

One agent said yes and even provisioned the second modem under MCA, then the second agent (after I couldn't activate) said I couldn't use MCA and it required a separate Internet plan. Whats the scoop?

Thanks,
Dan Foxley
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Re: [CA] Verify MCA is NOT for an Additional Modem on the Accoun

Well from what I know, MCA is so you have access of up to 3 IP addresses provided by a single modem. But each IP address does cost. For what your trying to do, I do think a plan is required for each location. So you will need to pay for two internet plans, one for each location, if you need internet at both locations.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to gdtrfb

to gdtrfb
MCA is used to assign 2 computer their own ip through 1 modem using like a switch. to use 2 seperate modems you would need to pay for a second line for internet just like if you wanted a 2nd line of phone
m8trix

m8trix to gdtrfb

to gdtrfb
is the currecnt issue with the wifi a bandwidth issue, or poor wireless signal
Anon401
join:2012-11-11
Johnston, RI

Anon401 to gdtrfb

to gdtrfb
If you want to have two (or more) cable modems, than you'll have to pay for two (or more) instance of internet. They don't have to be they do not have to be at the same speed tier.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to gdtrfb

to gdtrfb
To clarify, Internet is billed per modem. MCA is for customers wishing to have a single modem but more than one device connected to it.
gdtrfb
San Diego, CA

1 edit

gdtrfb to m8trix

to m8trix
m8trix
it is a poor wireless signal. The building has thick walls and tinted double-pane windows.

Anon401
Is this correct that they DON'T have to be the same speed? The agent said they DO have to be the same speed. As well there is an old post from 2009 that speaks to the same.

»Re: [AZ] Does Anybody Know How Much It Is To Add A Second Modem?

Thanks Again,
Dan

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

This is probably not a good idea but I did run CAT5 arial about 100' from my house to my detached garage. Whether or not it was a good idea it seemed to work just fine.
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver to gdtrfb

to gdtrfb
Is the cable to the second building coming from your house or a second line from the tap. The reason why I ask this is that MoCA might be a solution but distance and quality of splitters might be an issue... You also can't have an amp between the two devices (most amps take the incoming signal, amplifies that signal, then it gets split whether the splitter is internal, or external. You also should have a POE (point of entry) filter where the signal comes into the house so if it is two separate lines coming in it shouldn't work since the filter should be there.

I've run cat 5/6 between buildings before too... generally the rule is to run fiber between buildings rather than something electrical as their could be a variance in the ground potential between the two end devices.
Anon401
join:2012-11-11
Johnston, RI

Anon401 to gdtrfb

to gdtrfb
said by gdtrfb:

Is this correct that they DON'T have to be the same speed? The agent said they DO have to be the same speed. As well there is an old post from 2009 that speaks to the same.

»Re: [AZ] Does Anybody Know How Much It Is To Add A Second Modem?

My only experience with this is on the business end - a friend has 1 modem that is 10x2 and is the public wifi for his business and another modem that is 15x5 for his point-of-sale system and office PCs.

I guess the residential world could be different.

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to CoxTech1

Premium Member

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

This is probably not a good idea but I did run CAT5 arial about 100' from my house to my detached garage. Whether or not it was a good idea it seemed to work just fine.

This is the correct way to do it, if wifi won't work or the OP needs the additional bandwidth.
gdtrfb
San Diego, CA

gdtrfb

- MoCA was a thought but I think I'll have splitters etc in the way...and I'm not up for the overhead of buying/testing/returning if necessary...I know it doesn't jive considering the long term cost of a new cable modem account.

- I like the Ethernet idea, but it just isn't feasible, getting out of the house is probably the biggest issue.

- I've decided to stick with adding another account and will hope that I can have them at different tiers of service - I have yet to re-try, as the original agent said I could NOT.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley

said by gdtrfb:

- MoCA was a thought but I think I'll have splitters etc in the way...and I'm not up for the overhead of buying/testing/returning if necessary...I know it doesn't jive considering the long term cost of a new cable modem account.

If you have a coax feed to the building, then MoCA is going to be the simplest and most reliable method. It's really easy, splitters won't affect it unless there are so many that your signal drops too much - house amps are another issue though

Just get a couple of MoCA bridges and connect them on the cable in question and voila! you have an Ethernet cable in your building.

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec ··· 9&sr=8-1

Another option is to get better antennas for your wireless AP. I did this for my son-in-law's shop building on his farm. I used a pair of directional, high-gain antennas and a wireless bridge at the building and was able to get a great signal out to a building that was several hundred yards away.

»www.amazon.com/Hawking-D ··· &sr=1-34
gdtrfb
San Diego, CA

gdtrfb

Well, I went for it and no luck. I purchased the ActionTec MoCA adapters and they did not work. The buildings must be feed by different feeds from the street. At lease now, I won't feel as if I left any options our there.

Thanks,
Dan