chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

Firefox for Android Available for Millions More Phones

quote:
The Mozilla Blog — Firefox for Android Now Available for Millions More Phones (ARM-6)

Firefox for Android introduces support for millions more devices, including the HTC Status, HTC ChaCha, Samsung Galaxy Ace, Motorola Fire XT and LG Optimus Q.

To date, Firefox for Android has supported phones running Android versions 2.2 and higher, but only on phones equipped with ARMv7 processors. Now, Firefox for Android supports a number of phones using ARMv6 processors.

At Mozilla, our mission is to bring the Web to as many people as we can. Given that roughly half of the nearly 500 million Android phones in use today run on ARMv6 architecture, this is an important step toward making the open Web free to all.

Firefox for Android also adds new accessibility features to make browsing the Web on a mobile phone easier for the visually impaired. Firefox for Android integrates seamlessly with TalkBack, the Android screen reader, with no need for additional configuration or installations.

Firefox also supports advanced accessibility features recently introduced to Android, including Explore by Touch and Gesture Navigation. Explore by Touch is an Android feature that makes it easier for the visually impaired to browse the Web using speech output, sounds and vibrations.
For more information:

Download Firefox for Android
Detailed release notes for Firefox for Android
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

The same as I said on the Mozilla board, I have been mightily impressed with the Firefox browser on Android, too.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
I gave it a try a while back, I liked it but some pages rendered poorly. All and all, I would have to say Chrome is my favorite browser for Android at this time.

Dolphin had a good run on for me, but Chrome (and Firefox) blew by it.
--
Making procrastination an art form since Pluto was still a planet.

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Last time I tried Firefox on my phone the thing practically locked up solid on every page I tried to load. It even locked up while rendering a page on this site (not the text-only site).

I use Dolphin Browser with the Dolphin JetPack addon, works fine for what I need to do.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Steimes
I make internets
Premium
Belle Vernon, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I never had that issue on my mobile, but I have had Firefox on my desktop locking up on occasion. I have not used Dolphin in a long while, but I might give it a try again if Chrome fails me, but it hasn't yet.
--
Making procrastination an art form since Pluto was still a planet.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to chachazz
Tried it and expected good things based on the Play store description - especially the "Fast— Access, browse, and search the web at blazing speeds"

Sadly, just trying it with a few sites and it was very slow instead and incorrectly rendered some sites - uninstalled.

Back to Opera Mobile for me...slow to launch, but sites load very quickly (compared to Firefox) and correctly.

Would stick with the default browser, but unfortunately, the version on my rom has buggy scrolling and I haven't bothered to try a new rom.

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to chachazz
What browser comes standard with the Samsung Galaxy S3 ? Is it Google Chrome ?
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to trparky
+1 on Dolphin Browser+Dolphin Jetpack. Held back at Gingerbread due to bug reports and battery life reports on ICS for my phone. My phone already does what it needs to do very well. Battery life could be better but it's fine with a battery saver+booster battery for my daily life. Don't want it to get any worse, so I cannot comment on Chrome. Tried Opera Mobile and Firefox. Rendering quality is very impressive on Dolphin+Jetpack and rendering speed is phoenominal. Nothing has surpassed it so far. Firefox still needs lots and lots of work to reach that level It is good as it stands, mostly but Mozilla PLEASE work on the annoying zoom and the random crashes(only happens on some sites but every other browser renders them fine). I keep Opera Mini on the side for those times where even the best of us are stuck on 2G(or worse, 2G and roaming) because it compresses the data, making weak connections feel snappier. Both seem much more developed than Firefox atm.

Posted from Dolphin Browser+Jetpack on my Pantech Burst.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to trparky
said by trparky:

Last time I tried Firefox on my phone the thing practically locked up solid on every page I tried to load. It even locked up while rendering a page on this site (not the text-only site)..

so you didn't try this new version and don't know anything about it but thought you would talk about Dolphin?

And what does Dolphin have to do with anything with you other posters who also didn't try it?

Like I said, highly impressed with Firefox mobile. Fast and responsive and works with every site I went to.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium
Belle Vernon, PA
reply to Retired6
No, it is the stock Android browser.

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Ok, thanks.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to chachazz
Update: I did a more extensive test of the most recent version. They fixed a couple issues and made worse ones. The browser is about half as fast as Dolphin on page loads, but renders very nicely. If this were the end of my review it would be good. However, the browser tends to lock up on bigger pages such as the desktop version of Facebook. It randomly loses all touch response within pages. After which point, hitting menu then quit leaves it hogging resources in the background, slowing a dual core 1.5 ghz to a crawl. The only way to fix this without rebooting is to crawl over to your settings menu and force stop it. After that agonizing exercise, your phone will get its speed back. This is so typical of the unstable crap Mozilla has been releasing lately.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.