Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

3 edits

Dustyn to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter

Re: Are you a "collector"?

said by Thane_Bitter:

I came across something older than a Laser Disc while visiting a friend, she had a functional RCA CED selectavision player and a collection of LP movies to go along with it.

Glad no one I know jumped on that bandwagon.
Although the technology is pretty interesting.
CED video discs are read via a stylus just like a record player... not a laser. The worst thing about those things were that the discs were so sensitive to dust and dirt. Although housed in a caddy at all times (except for when playing a disc) the discs could still become dusty or dirty. I've seen movies on many of those units that play "rainbow" colors all throughout the movie due to worn stylus heads, or even due to dirt on the stylus.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· s6IgMc2E

That woman in the video is odd... that or the way she's talking.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

I vaguely remember hearing about the CED vinyl discs. The sad thing is that the technology was developed in the mid-60's, but due to bureaucracy at RCA didn't go into production until 1981. The timing couldn't have been worse. By that time it had competition from all sides -- both VHS and the newer two- and three-hour Betamax units as well as Laserdiscs had all been out for a few years already, so the thing was doomed from the start.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Party? cheese puffs? quiche? ugh wow, it must be the cocaine that is keeping her perky and smiling.

Interesting how it sucks the disc in, keeps sticky fingers from messing with it. To bad they didn't use a similar system with DVDs and Bluray discs, I hate fumbling with the case trying to get the disc to release.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

Party? cheese puffs? quiche? ugh wow, it must be the cocaine that is keeping her perky and smiling.

You'd think with the sheer terror of being buried alive, that smile would have been gone a long time ago.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I vaguely remember hearing about the CED vinyl discs. The sad thing is that the technology was developed in the mid-60's, but due to bureaucracy at RCA didn't go into production until 1981. The timing couldn't have been worse. By that time it had competition from all sides -- both VHS and the newer two- and three-hour Betamax units as well as Laserdiscs had all been out for a few years already, so the thing was doomed from the start.

I remember when they came out and seeing them at Sears. The usual complaint (just like Laserdiscs) was "it can't record."

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

And by then you could buy a Betamax capable of recording three hours of high quality video on an L-750 cartridge. I know I did! I still have many boxes of L-500's and L-750's packed away somewhere. That original Betamax (which I eventually replaced with a newer one) was about the size of a suitcase!
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Not to mention Beta offered a superior picture compared to VHS. Sony was just too greedy/stupid to licence their technology to others compared to JVC who whored out VHS to every VCR maker in the world!

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

"Whored out" is an understatement to say the least! JVC even figured out how to make a compact version of a VHS tape that would still work in standard players. What we got was the legendary JVC GR-C1.

mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Mrs. Weather and I got a JVC VHS-C camcorder as a wedding gift many years ago.

It came with the powered VHS adapter "case" that you popped the VHS-C cassette into so you could play back what you recorded on a standard VHS VCR.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

Mrs. Weather and I got a JVC VHS-C camcorder as a wedding gift many years ago.
It came with the powered VHS adapter "case" that you popped the VHS-C cassette into so you could play back what you recorded on a standard VHS VCR.

Yup. My first camcorder when I was a kid was a VHS-C.