how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TomBrooklyn
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Brooklyn, NY

Google Trusted Stores: Is There a Catch? Privacy Issue?

Does signing up with Google Trusted Stores as a consumer come with any catches or privacy issues?

I purchased something from Newegg today, and at checkout was offered to join this google trusted store thing and get google customer product protection for no cost.

It sounds like a good thing; but since it's free, I was wondering if there was a catch somewhere. Does it come with adware or any tracking issues or anything?

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
»www.google.com/trustedstores/cus ··· tos.html

Scroll down to "Your Privacy".

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to TomBrooklyn
If you believe that the following is the only way you can accomplish what is offered. And have you looked at their terms of service, which seem to me to be much the same as any major credit card company allows paying by them and arbitrating via them if you have a problem. Google's Trusted Stores policies seem to me to be just repeated things you can get through the way you pay. If you're already paying with a credit card, you're just giving Google more info than they need.

"Your purchase protection When you opt in for free purchase protection, and you’re unable to resolve an eligible issue with the qualifying merchant, Google will help you resolve the issue, which can include a full refund or item replacement.

After you make a purchase from a Google Trusted Store, some users have the option of opting in to purchase protection. There is no fee or charge to opt in for free purchase protection from Google Trusted Stores. If you opt in, you will receive an email confirming your purchase protection. At this time, the ability to opt in for purchase protection is only available at the time of purchase.

Purchase protection covers the entire purchase amount, including tax and shipping. Purchase protection is limited to $1,000 in lifetime claims. To report an issue in your account, you have 60 days after you place your order.

Eligible purchase protection issues include the following:

•You fail to receive the correct item.
•The item is not in the promised condition.
•You are billed an incorrect amount.
•The item is not shipped in a timely manner.
•The store does not honor their return policies.

Limitations to purchase protection include the following:

•The merchant’s return policy and terms still apply.
•Purchase protection is not a product warranty.
•Google does not evaluate or endorse specific products sold by stores in the program.
•Purchase protection does not apply to lost or stolen items.
•Purchase protection is limited to the item you purchased; it does not apply for identity theft or credit card theft."
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to TomBrooklyn
said by TomBrooklyn:

I purchased something from Newegg today, and at checkout was offered to join this google trusted store thing and get google customer product protection for no cost.

Of course it has a cost - it's your privacy. They offer you to track all your purchases and collect that data linked to you. In this case all your personal ID's are 100% confirmed here (no any guessing "who are you" is required at all) and all further collected data will be linked to your personal tracking DB.

Some people have no problem with that. They don't care. When they give their Google mail account to online store, Google will get your personal info anyway at the time, when online store will send to that account a "confirmation" letter, exposing your real name, your CC, used in transaction, your address, what you've purchased and when... So, for them, it's not a big deal. Again, they simply don't care. But if you do, you can make your educated decisions.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to TomBrooklyn
As Oregonian See Profile suggested, check out their Privacy Policy - it links directly to Google's own regular privacy policy - such as it is. Which means your in-store shopping privacy levels will become identical with Google's own account privacy policy and practices... including all the various exclusions, caveats, hooks, and trackings. In the end, it's up to you. I've always viewed in-store shopping with cash (and without a loyalty card) as one of the last sanctuaries of buyer privacy.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville