how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wattrt

join:2002-08-12
Birmingham, AL

[Speed Issues] Slingbox speeds around 1 Mbit on my 30/4 Mbit lin

I've had my Slingbox Pro-HD (streaming DirecTV HD) since January 2012 and for the most part speeds are ok. However, the past 5-7 months my Slingbox speeds are not even reaching my upload max and it's beginning to be too regular not to wonder what's up.

For example, right now (3:36 p.m. CST) I'm getting 919 Kbps ± 100 Kbps. However, if I close that connection down and remote into my home computer I can easily get 4 Mbps on Speedtest for my uploads.

It's not like this all the time. At what seems to be too coincidental, around 5-6 p.m. CST my Slingbox speeds jump up and start saturating the line with 3.5-4 Mbps. This pattern is too common.

I'm not running any other network services that would be using the line from home. No torrents or file sharing. Remote Desktop isn't active. The router reports no traffic.

My hardware / network:

- Linksys WRT54GL (running Tomato v1.28.7633.3-Toastman-VLAN-IPT-ND)
- QoS not enabled
- Correct TCP Port 5001 forwarded to Slingbox

Is Charter doing anything to actively limiting these devices or ports? Anything else I can to check on my end to narrow down where speeds are dropping off?

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Re: [Speed Issues] Slingbox speeds around 1 Mbit on my 30/4 Mbit

That does seem to coincidental.
I have also been noticing some speed changes when downloading large files that had always maxed out the connection but now seem to be speed regulated somehow but not always. To the point i have been looking into my connection speeds (something i have not had to do for years) by testing the connection speed lately.

ISP are getting ready for the new packet inspection software kickoff where they will be looking for copyright data passing over there network.
I hope that the sling-box is not in that category, if it is maybe there are testing the new systems.

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
reply to wattrt
I have a slingbox as well and it would give me on 1 mbps remotely unless I manually set the stream to 4 mbps. It seems to just be something with the slingbox. That was with my old slingbox av. My new slingbox 350 streams at 3500 kbps or so, so it might just be the old slingboxes

wattrt

Birmingham, AL
reply to wattrt
I just wanted to report back that I eventually changed the port from the Slingbox default and so far so good. I'm hitting 4.1 Mbps on my 4 Mbps line during the middle of the day whereas before I'd be lucky to get 1–1.2 Mbps.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
Thanks for replying back with an update!

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

ISP are getting ready for the new packet inspection software kickoff where they will be looking for copyright data passing over there network.
I hope that the sling-box is not in that category, if it is maybe there are testing the new systems.

ISPs will not be doing direct monitoring, it will be done by an IP monitoring clearinghouse called MarkMonitor. The ISPs will have nothing to do with the actual 6 strikes plan other than potentially walling customers off.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to wattrt
said by wattrt:

I just wanted to report back that I eventually changed the port from the Slingbox default and so far so good. I'm hitting 4.1 Mbps on my 4 Mbps line during the middle of the day whereas before I'd be lucky to get 1–1.2 Mbps.

sounds like charter to me. They limit standard Bittorrent ports too, so you have to change them, and if you don't change them about 1 time every 3 months, they catch on and start throttling those ports too. so far, the only ports that I have seen remaining unthrottled are those for RDP sessions(3800), and HTTP and HTTPS. Everything else seems to get throttled after about 3 months of use.

wattrt

Birmingham, AL
said by Chubbysumo:

sounds like charter to me. They limit standard Bittorrent ports too, so you have to change them, and if you don't change them about 1 time every 3 months, they catch on and start throttling those ports too. so far, the only ports that I have seen remaining unthrottled are those for RDP sessions(3800), and HTTP and HTTPS. Everything else seems to get throttled after about 3 months of use.

Looks like Charter must have caught on to my port, because my speeds have dropped once again. It's been about 2.5 months so it looks like you're spot on. I'll change it again tonight (might try port 80 or 443) and see what happens. I'll try to keep posting updates as I discover issues.

It just sucks that I have to do this. If I'm paying for 4 Mbps upload, I want it all the time. It's not like I'm streaming the Slingbox all day (maybe an average of 3-4 hours a day 1-3 days a week, at most).