Search similar:

uniqs
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

1 edit

IanR

Actiontec router problem

I recently purchased an upgraded Actiontec from Verizon going from a REV D to a REV I (M1424WR)
Everything was going swimmingly until I found that my XBox360 and my main PC desktop fail to communicate with each other. BOTH despite both being listed and given local IP Addresses by the router.
Note XBox360 works fine in every other regard and performs thru my network.

I have uninstalled the prior connection to use the XBox360 as an "Extender" from WindowsMediaCenter(WMC) and gone thru the original setup procedure in full but it fails because it (XBox) cannot find that PC on the network.

I went thru Microsoft XBox support/help (limited though it is) and they pointed the finger at the Router (a wrong setting).

I have called Verizon tech support and they point the finger at Microsoft.

The old Actiontec worked fine so IMHO it MUST be some setting on the router and as I say both are seen by the router.

Verizon tech support refuse any help as they say per the terms of the contract so longas I can see the internet their responsibilities have ended. Ergo they will not help remedy the router issue.

Anyone got any experieince here to popint me in the right direction.

As it seems to be a Verizon supplied Actionetc router issue (re their standard settings on the new router) I am posting here to start with rather than in the networking forum.
Thanks.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Try disabling IGMP proxy (under the Advanced menu).
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

1 edit

IanR

Ok I did that and got half way along with setup.
I began on the XBox and got the 8 digit code. Back on the PC with WMC up I was able to use the code to succesfully set up the XBox as an extender.
Back on the XBox when I start WMC it tells me it fails to find WMC....

Rather weirdly when I check the XBox under Settings and Computers it tells me: "Your consule is attached to a WMC PC".
But under Network it will not show the PC and when I do tests it tells me it isn't connected to a WMC PC. And of course I fail to launch WMC from the XBox....
IanR

IanR

Moderator.

Would it be OK to switch this to the "networking" forum?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I can do that. Hang on.
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

I am guessing that my problem is setting up the router with the specific port forwarding needed to my desktop so it can commnicate with the XBox. XB says it needs open TCP 2869 and 10243 UDP 1900, 10284-80

But trying to implement this on the router is stretching my ability beyond what's needed. It asks me to be specific and opens a box but do I write in UDP 1900, 10284 etc and add TCP 2869 , 10243. In other words w/o any rraining I am left guessing.

This level of cmomplexity would defeat anyone but someone with networking knowledge and this seems weird for an off the shelf product.
IanR

IanR

I have had this communication with the router manufacturer Actiontec.
It leaves me rather confused as to my next step. I use MS Essentials and I cannot see that they have any firewall or any way for me to say that the router is a trusted device on my PC.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated as to my next step
Thanks

Actiontec:
You may need to log into the router and click the Advanced Icon. Click Yes at the warning. Select the IGMP Proxy. Set this to disable and apply.

ME: I did this days ago and it has not resolved the problem

Actiontec:
Then it won't be a port forwarding issue, your router has no LAN Firewall to forward ports through.
The only firewall is on the WAN, you would need to open ports for XBOX LIVE, ports 53\88\3074 over both TCP and UDP, but this would have no affect on say computer A connecting too or getting data from computer B on the LAN side of the router. The router has no programming to firewall a computer from another computer on the LAN network.
Check the computer. If it has a firewall, try disabling or uninstalling it. The firewall on the computer may be blocking the connection between the XBOX system because the router was changed and the firewall hasn't been programmed\configured to use the new router MAC Address as a trusted device\connection All MI424 routers have no LAN firewall, they also have no programming to allow or deny file sharing or printer sharing as they are not functions of the routers programming.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to IanR

MVM

to IanR
Some thoughts of my own :

a) can the PC ping the XBOX's IP address?

b) does the PC have the XBOX's MAC address in it's arp table? (from cmd.exe do a arp -a)

c) reset the Actiontech to factory defaults (if possible)

d) telnet to the XBOX's IP address on the ports you mentioned, 2869, 10243, 1900, 10284-80. If they
show OPEN, then you've just proven Actiontech's comment that the LAN is not firewalled in any way.

e) the most complex, but possibly the best bet if you've hit this point on the list is to fire up a sniffer
like wireshark and see what's going on when your PC and XBOX try to communicate.

My 00000010bits.

Regards
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

Thanks for the suggestions HELLFIRE it's appreciated.

I seeem to have resolved my problems.

I did not realise that Windows 7 had it's own firewall program separate from any with the router. Seems suddenly (no idea why) my was activated and somehow ONLY seemed to block communication between the XBox360 and my desktop and all this happened at the same time as I upgraded the router.... Beats me.

When I tried to get into the W7 firewall program I was not allowed to...??? In total frust tration I did several hours of MS Essentials total PC scan and it came up with a few trojans (again why these had not been found B4 by MSE is up for debate). MMSE could not remove them so I downloaded Windows Defender and this finally did the trick. I then immediately was given back access to W7 Firewall (don't ask me how ths worked).
I changed the firewall settings and immediately found that my desktop/WMC and the XBox were back communicating.

I guess I was the one eyed man of the networking/firewall community in my house and struck lucky finally:)
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

"(don't ask me how ths worked)."

it worked because you removed the threats on the PC.

i am not shocked MSE didn't catch the threats, it isn't that great of a scanner, but better than not having anything at all.
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

Interesting. So W7 went into self defense mode and switched on the firewall to protect itself, or at least to stop spreading the virus thru the network...
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

or the virus triggered its own virus to run and when it was removed w7 firewall stayed on. not sure, viruses do weird things.