how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to jcremin

Re: UBNT Disconnect Issue

Let us know how this works out. I have yet to find anything myself that preforms like the XR2.

One thing that might be causing you some grief if the fact that your dealing with dual polarity's on the rocket. If you have a spare RP-SMA 50 ohm terminator toss it on either horizontal or vertical and see if things improve.

If you have canopy near you it will probably be on horizontal.

I have a few sites running on just a single polarity because they pickup other towers I have or other providers have a bit too loud. I try to maximize the amount of equipment I can put up in the limited amount of radio spectrum.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to jcremin

With the exception of 900mhz Canopy is never HPOL without adding additional hardware.

I have never seen above 11megs on a 10mhz channel.

I would replace the rocket and/or try disconnecting one of the chains as suggested.

Since you are using all UBNT M clients I can't imagine why you would want to go back to a non-airmax system. The polling is invaluable.

OHSrob

said by wirelessdog:

I have never seen above 11megs on a 10mhz channel.

Since you are using all UBNT M clients I can't imagine why you would want to go back to a non-airmax system. The polling is invaluable.

I can pull 35-40megabit's on speedtest.net off a dual polarity 2.4 ghz rocket with 65/65 rate in 10mhz.

I just noticed OP has his KM limit set to 1.8KM, Increase the AP side to 4KM and the clients each by 1KM. You can set it higher then you need but never too short. The ACK timing simply specify the amount of time to wait before considering a transmission lost.

Also try taking that out of WDS mode and put in normal access point operation and clients in client mode, You don't need WDS for ptmp.

I do agree with you not having airmax with a pure M series network is a bit of a waste but you do get a bit more throughput without it. As long as the tower isn't crowded with gear airmax is fantastic. However CSMA does tend to work fine as well most of the time,But I would never go back to CSMA.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by OHSrob:

I just noticed OP has his KM limit set to 1.8KM, Increase the AP side to 4KM and the clients each by 1KM. You can set it higher then you need but never too short. The ACK timing simply specify the amount of time to wait before considering a transmission lost.

It is set to dynamic Ack. My furthest client on this AP is probably about .75km from the tower. I used to statically set it on my 900mhz towers, but it never seemed to help anything. Are you saying that you statically assigning the ack on the AP and each client?

said by OHSrob:

Also try taking that out of WDS mode and put in normal access point operation and clients in client mode, You don't need WDS for ptmp.

My office actually needs WDS in order to bridge the network back to a few devices that I have running customer monitoring. Have you noticed having a UBNT AP in WDS mode affecting performance any? I do it occasionally on my Mikrotik AP's for when I have a client that also serves as a rebroadcast for a few neighbors.

said by OHSrob:

I do agree with you not having airmax with a pure M series network is a bit of a waste but you do get a bit more throughput without it. As long as the tower isn't crowded with gear airmax is fantastic. However CSMA does tend to work fine as well most of the time,But I would never go back to CSMA.

I didn't have much time to test today, but I saw zero performance or stability difference between Airmax on vs off. Might just be because there are only 8 clients and the bandwidth usage is quite low. I'm sure on a higher capacity AP there could be a much bigger difference.

OHSrob

said by jcremin:

It is set to dynamic Ack. My furthest client on this AP is probably about .75km from the tower. I used to statically set it on my 900mhz towers, but it never seemed to help anything. Are you saying that you statically assigning the ack on the AP and each client?

Don't use auto, Some people here sware by it but its never done me any good, I abandoned trying to use it in 5.2, Never ever tried it again.

said by jcremin:

My office actually needs WDS in order to bridge the network back to a few devices that I have running customer monitoring. Have you noticed having a UBNT AP in WDS mode affecting performance any? I do it occasionally on my Mikrotik AP's for when I have a client that also serves as a rebroadcast for a few neighbors.

Ah yes if its going between offices leave it in WDS if you have any of the stations bridged.

said by jcremin:

I didn't have much time to test today, but I saw zero performance or stability difference between Airmax on vs off. Might just be because there are only 8 clients and the bandwidth usage is quite low. I'm sure on a higher capacity AP there could be a much bigger difference.

To be honest Airmax mostly just solves CSMA related issue and if you have a bunch of towers in the same configuration (20,10mhz,8mhz,5mhz) you will have a more consistent latency on the connection with Airmax then with it off.

Anytime most 802.11 equipment receives a frame it can de-modulate it will back off transmitting until the band is free. This causes jitter.

If you have line of sight you might want to consider migrating to 5ghz, I can push 80megabits half duplex all day long to my clients on a rocket M5 in a 20mhz channel with firmware 5.3sdk. I seem to have lost about 20 megabit's with 5.5.2 with the same signal and rates.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to jcremin

Rob,

Care to share some screenshots of exact settings of your AP's? 35-40megs would mean I could get away with running most of my non-saturated backhauls in 10mhz mode... Just trying to wrap my head around what I'm doing wrong...