uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lamiel

join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI
Reviews:
·Skyweb Online

Skyweb?

Does anyone know anything about a WISP called Skyweb, out of Saginaw, MI? One of their salesmen came to the house and chatted up the wife today; he says they just put up a new tower down the road from us, offering speeds up to 5Mb/2Mb. We're on LTE now, so the speed they're offering isn't impresive, but they say the service is uncapped, which is very attractive. I've searched the net for reviews, and the handful (7 or so, dating between 2010 and Nov. 2012) I've found have been VERY negative. But the adage that the satisfied majority rarely gives feedback is often true, and that could be the case here. But I wanted to ask here, just in case someone's familiar with them. Thanks...
--
Core2Quad Q9450 @ 3.4GHz, XFX 780i SLI mobo, MSI GTX 560 OC, 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2-1066, Samsung 20x optical, Samsung F3 1TB HDD, Antec TP3 650 watt PSU, CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case, Win7 Home Premium 64 bit...

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
ask them for customer references, if they can't provide that ... stay clear

Lamiel

Saint Johns, MI
Reviews:
·Skyweb Online
If they could provide them, that would be great. I just have to wonder how a company would go about getting customer references? I can't imagine a company calling me and asking me if they could give my contact info to a stranger. Still, it's worth a shot, so thanks for the suggestion, Jim!
--
Core2Quad Q9450 @ 3.4GHz, XFX 780i SLI mobo, MSI GTX 560 OC, 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2-1066, Samsung 20x optical, Samsung F3 1TB HDD, Antec TP3 650 watt PSU, CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case, Win7 Home Premium 64 bit...

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to Lamiel
Horrible suggestion. I know we as well as any other WISP I've ever spoken with would NEVER give out customer information for references.

We offer a 30-day money back guarantee but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind releasing customer information as a reference.

I would be more concerned if they provided a reference than if they didn't.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
BS wirelessdog. Asking your neighbor "hows your TV working" is not different than asking a WISP customer "hows your connection"

You ask the customer first if they are willing to share the experience.
If yes, then you have a reference.

It was asked of me and I agreed. NO unauthorized info was ever given.

Get over your maniacal concerns
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Lamiel

Saint Johns, MI
Reviews:
·Skyweb Online
Yes, that's certainly the hinge that this would turn upon. If the customer is willing, no harm done. If not, well... No harm done? I could understand a WISP's reluctance to request such a thing, but, that said, if I received a reference from the company, and it was a legit customer, I wouldn't think less of the company; I would just think that it was a highly satisfied customer, eager and happy to share their positive experience. I suppose I can see it from both sides...
--

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
reply to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

I would be more concerned if they provided a reference than if they didn't.

I have some customers who outright offered (without us asking) to be references. They were so thrilled with our service that they couldn't wait to tell other people about it. Granted those cases are rare, but they do happen. There have been a few key customers (which are also other businesses) that we have asked for permission to use as a reference. That way a customer can go into their store and talk face to face with another customer. It's good for us and brings potential customers into their store too.

Giving out referrals without permission would be bad, but quite often is not the case.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to Lamiel
I'm not interested in the liability of what you suggest. I would dare say we all have customers that have offered to be a reference. Providing that information to a potential customer for them to do who only know what with hardly seems like a good idea to me.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to Jim_in_VA
And if DirecTV or DISH asked you and starting indiscriminately sending you anyone and everyone that wanted a reference you would be ok with that?

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Jim_in_VA
said by Jim_in_VA:

BS wirelessdog. Asking your neighbor "hows your TV working" is not different than asking a WISP customer "hows your connection"

One neighbor asking another is absolutely not the same thing as a provider giving out a customer's name to strangers. You live in an alternate reality.

If I were giving out references, I would probably cherry pick only the best ones to give out. Not exactly a fair cross-section.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to Lamiel
To clarify, the point I am making is: if the provider will not supply references that by no means does not mean they don't provide quality service.