share rss forum feed

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-08
Jackson Heights, NY
kudos:2

Downgrade Driver's License Class

My dad is attempting to renew his driver's license and no longer wants a class E license (allows you to drive taxi/livery/limos). He just wants to downgrade to a regular class D license and save $50 on the renewal fee. Will the lowly folks at the DMV be able to downgrade his license class?
--
Please use all available doors...you have 33 to choose from.

RealoRc
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Brooklyn, NY

How did he get it in the first place?
My dad has a Class E also and my mom don't know why it's on his license.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Jackson Heights, NY

No idea either. Just found out while helping with a license renewal.
--

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4
reply to Straphanger

I would contact the DMV and see if they will do it.

»www.dmv.ny.gov/index.htm

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Straphanger

When time to renew comes he should just pick whatever new class he wants on renewal application. I don't think there is a separate "downgrade" process.

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
join:2002-11-29
Woodside, NY
reply to Straphanger

Just apply for the lower class license via the DMV site. You can do it online.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to Straphanger

I have a commercial B license. Those bastards just asked $180 to renew it for eight years. And I've yet to drive a single hour for a living!!

Very likely downgrading on following renewal. Doesn't look like I will be driving for a living anytime soon.

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
Woodside, NY

If you do, we do need some CDL-Bs at my office. I work in Human Resources.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
Woodside, NY
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Straphanger

A TX driver's license is only $25 for a renewal.
That's beats NY anyday.

See below. Don't mess with Texas!

Renewal of driver license (with or without changing address): $25
Renewal of ID (with or without changing address): $16
Renewal of driver license with motorcycle (with or without changing address): $33
Change of address only for driver license or ID: $11
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

Network Guy
Premium
New York

Originally I got my CDL B to drive for the MTA but then changed my mind. I've kept it just in case my IT career runs out of steam, but so far I've been lucky to keep this job through this nasty recession.

I'll keep you in mind though. Thanks.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Bronx, NY
kudos:1
reply to Straphanger

On renewal just ask for a regular class D and they will do as asked.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Premium,Mod
Jackson Heights, NY
reply to Straphanger

Decided to go into a DMV to do the downgrade and update the picture. Took forever to wait but they were able to change the license class to D. Just had to circle it in the "For Office Use" area of the renewal form.
--

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Bronx, NY
reply to Straphanger

there ya go

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

I have a commercial B license. Those bastards just asked $180 to renew it for eight years. And I've yet to drive a single hour for a living!!

Very likely downgrading on following renewal. Doesn't look like I will be driving for a living anytime soon.

Yeah but that still only comes out to $22.50 per year....the approximate cost of a large garbage pizza pie at a good joint.

In this economy you never know what will happen within the next eight years...or even the next two years so I would hang on to that commercial B license for a measly $22.50 a year...think of it as very inexpensive yearly job insurance in the event you lost your job at least you could get a good paying driving job real quick....good and safe drivers will always be in demand.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

said by sailor:

said by Network Guy:

Yeah but that still only comes out to $22.50 per year....the approximate cost of a large garbage pizza pie at a good joint.

In this economy you never know what will happen within the next eight years...or even the next two years so I would hang on to that commercial B license for a measly $22.50 a year...think of it as very inexpensive yearly job insurance in the event you lost your job at least you could get a good paying driving job real quick....good and safe drivers will always be in demand.

Unless the rules have changed commercial driver licenses carry a much heftier penalty (financial and points) for traffic violations no matter what you are driving at the time.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

said by Dodge:

Unless the rules have changed commercial driver licenses carry a much heftier penalty (financial and points) for traffic violations no matter what you are driving at the time.

Don't know where you got this info from, but the points/fines cost the same for a CDL B than it does for a regular D.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to sailor

said by sailor:

That's the only reason I've held on to it. At the time that I started working towards getting it, I was going through economic turmoil myself. But I don't remember it costing so much to get it!

I do have nice-to-have endorsements on mine; air brake, passenger, tank vehicle, school bus and tow truck.

roc5955
Premium
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY
reply to Maggs

said by Maggs:

That's beats NY anyday.

Renewal of driver license with motorcycle (with or without changing address): $33

How much to get a NY license in TX?
--
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Maggs

said by Maggs:

That's beats NY anyday.

Jersey used to be cheap. It is slowly catching up.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Straphanger

Anybody know what's the difference between the Enhanced Drivers License vs. the Passport Card (besides the obvious, "One you can drive with and the other you cant", and "One has your address on it and the other doesn't")?

»www.dmv.ny.gov/edl-main.htm
»www.dmv.ny.gov/edl-faqs.htm

What are your thoughts on and EDL? Would anyone get an EDL? If so, why? If not, why not?
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to Straphanger

Need to brush up on the latest rules regarding international travel but I think the enhanced license allows you to drive into Canada (or I guess Mexico) but if you have a passport or passport card, then its not needed.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Anybody know what's the difference between the Enhanced Drivers License vs. the Passport Card (besides the obvious, "One you can drive with and the other you cant", and "One has your address on it and the other doesn't")?

»www.dmv.ny.gov/edl-main.htm
»www.dmv.ny.gov/edl-faqs.htm

What are your thoughts on and EDL? Would anyone get an EDL? If so, why? If not, why not?

I don't have an EDL, wouldn't mind having one, but since it requires a soul-crushing trip to the DMV and cannot be obtained through mail, or any other means, I don't think I'll ever have one.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

but I think the enhanced license allows you to drive into Canada (or I guess Mexico) but if you have a passport or passport card, then its not needed.

Correct. Only valid for sea and land travel, not air.

NYS DMV EDL

quote:
NYS now issues a WHTI-Compliant Enhanced driver licenses (EDL) (includes Enhanced learner permits) and Enhanced non-driver photo ID cards (ENDID) to applicants who can prove U.S. citizenship and NYS residency. An EDL or ENDID can be used instead of a passport to return to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. Contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify travel document requirements.

An EDL or ENDID is not acceptable for air travel between these countries.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Straphanger

And it looks like there is some duplication with the passport card:

»travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_ca···921.html

The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.
--
1/22/2012 Delegate Count
Newt 25 | Romney 14 | Ron Paul 10 | Santorum 8

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

It is duplication. You didn't expect NYS not to join in on the fun, did you?

Personally, I would only feel comfortable using a federal document for identification purposes over a state-issued one.

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
Woodside, NY
reply to Straphanger

Get yourself a passport, it's valid for a decade. You don't have to wait on line for the better part of a decade.

It's $115 for 10 years, my passport expires in 2021.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

Network Guy
Premium
New York

It's $135 for first-time applicant, $110 to renew.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

It is duplication. You didn't expect NYS not to join in on the fun, did you?

Personally, I would only feel comfortable using a federal document for identification purposes over a state-issued one.

I guess Canada accepts the NYS document as identification, especially Ontario and Quebec
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

RealoRc
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Straphanger

I have an EDL. Now any future trips to the DMV only requires the EDL as proof of identity, residence, etc. I don't have to search for 5 or 6 different documents anymore.