FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Straphanger

Premium Member

to Straphanger

Re: Downgrade Driver's License Class

Need to brush up on the latest rules regarding international travel but I think the enhanced license allows you to drive into Canada (or I guess Mexico) but if you have a passport or passport card, then its not needed.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Anybody know what's the difference between the Enhanced Drivers License vs. the Passport Card (besides the obvious, "One you can drive with and the other you cant", and "One has your address on it and the other doesn't")?

»www.dmv.ny.gov/edl-main.htm
»www.dmv.ny.gov/edl-faqs.htm

What are your thoughts on and EDL? Would anyone get an EDL? If so, why? If not, why not?

I don't have an EDL, wouldn't mind having one, but since it requires a soul-crushing trip to the DMV and cannot be obtained through mail, or any other means, I don't think I'll ever have one.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
said by PhoenixDown:

but I think the enhanced license allows you to drive into Canada (or I guess Mexico) but if you have a passport or passport card, then its not needed.

Correct. Only valid for sea and land travel, not air.

NYS DMV EDL
quote:
NYS now issues a WHTI-Compliant Enhanced driver licenses (EDL) (includes Enhanced learner permits) and Enhanced non-driver photo ID cards (ENDID) to applicants who can prove U.S. citizenship and NYS residency. An EDL or ENDID can be used instead of a passport to return to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. Contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify travel document requirements.

An EDL or ENDID is not acceptable for air travel between these countries.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Straphanger

Premium Member

to Straphanger
And it looks like there is some duplication with the passport card:

»travel.state.gov/passpor ··· 921.html

The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international travel by air.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

It is duplication. You didn't expect NYS not to join in on the fun, did you?

Personally, I would only feel comfortable using a federal document for identification purposes over a state-issued one.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs to Straphanger

Premium Member

to Straphanger
Get yourself a passport, it's valid for a decade. You don't have to wait on line for the better part of a decade.

It's $115 for 10 years, my passport expires in 2021.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

It's $135 for first-time applicant, $110 to renew.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

It is duplication. You didn't expect NYS not to join in on the fun, did you?

Personally, I would only feel comfortable using a federal document for identification purposes over a state-issued one.

I guess Canada accepts the NYS document as identification, especially Ontario and Quebec

RealoRc
Premium Member
join:2003-01-25
Brooklyn, NY

RealoRc to Straphanger

Premium Member

to Straphanger
I have an EDL. Now any future trips to the DMV only requires the EDL as proof of identity, residence, etc. I don't have to search for 5 or 6 different documents anymore.