how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Eye Popper

@videotron.ca

For George Burger: ie. Stop the Bell Astral Deal-Help Wanted

For George Burger
I Can't reply to the old topic you made here, »Stop the Bell Astral Deal-Help Wanted (non-reg'd people can't reply to topics more than 2 weeks old). But here is something you may like, which is in continuation of the hearing you were at and the topic you created.

For those who don't know about Bell not a providing content to IPTV competitors (contrary to George Copes quote in the picture above), check out the link given above.

I wonder if people will really believe that shill and bullsh*t website Bell put up?

Source of the screen capture:
»www.canadiansdeservemore.ca/

bell media

@rogers.com

dude, let the regulators do their job. if they want bce to buy astral media, then let it be done.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

i agree, let the crtc decide

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to bell media

said by bell media :

dude, let the regulators do their job. if they want bce to buy astral media, then let it be done.

The regulators do their job based on input from all parties and Canadian citizens. I suggest you read up on the last proceeding which will you show you the various and vast amount of comments that were made by the cable/telco/content providers and the public which was used to formulate their decision.

hm

@videotron.ca

said by mlerner:

said by bell media :

The regulators do their job based on input from all parties and Canadian citizens. I suggest you read up on the last proceeding which will you show you the various and vast amount of comments that were made by the cable/telco/content providers and the public which was used to formulate their decision.

Not only that, but you left out the anti-competitive behavior which leads to less choice. And in regards to this topic, the person in question has already experienced Bell refusing to be competitive.

However, some people love being locked into and anticompetitve company that limits peoples choices across the board, and increases costs across the board.

Maybe Paolo & bell media can create a topic in support of Bell and less choice? Maybe they can flog Bell's bullsh*t for them?

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to Eye Popper

"all content will be available to all Canadians through cable, satellite or IPTV provider" What about online? I guess we'll never see something like Hulu in Canada.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

said by Dones:

"all content will be available to all Canadians through cable, satellite or IPTV provider" What about online? I guess we'll never see something like Hulu in Canada.

Nope, not in the near time but that's why old media will die when people realize they have more choices. Even HBO is realizing they will need to do online subs which I'll gladly pay for.

Competitive

@videotron.ca
reply to Dones

said by Dones:

It will be free Bandwidth usage for online viewing. But only if you use Bell Canada internet.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to Dones

said by Dones:

We do, it's just not conveniently all on one site, ie., watch.thecomedynetwork.ca, watch.discoverychannel.ca, watch.ctv.ca, watch.tsn.ca, etc...

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Eye Popper

said by Eye Popper :

Source of the screen capture:
»www.canadiansdeservemore.ca/

Of course Bell will make the cost of accessing the content of your choice on other ISP's/providers prohibitively expensive. How else is Furious George going to pay for the acquisition?

Astral Media

@gurutek.biz
reply to Paolo

Greetings Fellow TV Consumers.

First I would like to thank Paolo for supporting the Bell-Astral media deal that will benefit all Canadians.

As you are well aware, Bell Canada is the only Canadian media company capable of bringing Astrals great TV offerings into your living rooms, be it via IPTV or other.

Bell is committed to being open and competitive. Mr. Burgurs client is a statistical outlier who may not have followed proper communication channels to order the station(s) in question to give to his client.

As stated above by some of the great people here, it is imperative for this Bell-Astral media deal that you just let the CRTC decide without interfering or voicing objections. Bell-Astral has worked hard for the benefit of all Canadians.

Should you require additional information on how we will protect all Canadian consumers please feel free to visit the Bell-Astral website which will answer all your questions. »www.canadiansdeservemore.ca/

Best regards,

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Astral Media :

Greetings Fellow TV Consumers.

First I would like to thank Paolo for supporting the Bell-Astral media deal that will benefit all Canadians.

As you are well aware, Bell Canada is the only Canadian media company capable of bringing Astrals great TV offerings into your living rooms, be it via IPTV or other.

Bell is committed to being open and competitive. Mr. Burgurs client is a statistical outlier who may not have followed proper communication channels to order the station(s) in question to give to his client.

As stated above by some of the great people here, it is imperative for this Bell-Astral media deal that you just let the CRTC decide without interfering or voicing objections. Bell-Astral has worked hard for the benefit of all Canadians.

Should you require additional information on how we will protect all Canadian consumers please feel free to visit the Bell-Astral website which will answer all your questions. »www.canadiansdeservemore.ca/

Best regards,

HAHAHA... Paolo you are funny, posting anon to shill on your own post...
--

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

Yup and it makes no logical sense. If Bell didn't want people to inform the CRTC and give feedback, they wouldn't have made a website touting the deal.

Nice try but horrible fail.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by mlerner:

Nice try but horrible fail.

It was funny for all the wrong reasons, as always.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

shakes fist

@videotron.ca
reply to HiVolt

people like him give non-reg'd users a bad name.

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca

Per cartt.ca
»www.cartt.ca/news/14686/Cable-Te···ite.html

Eastlink just launch EastLink-To-Go this morning.

The subscriber-authenticated, TV Everywhere service is the first in North American powered end-to-end by Cisco’s Videoscape technology and will allow EastLink subscribers to take their TV with them wherever they are in Canada, on whatever device they like at no additional cost.

However, sad to say, they are having trouble negotiating with big broadcasters for mobile content.

I'll give you 3 guess who that could be. While you are thinking about it, read the screen capture in the first post of this topic.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

Negotiating isn't necessarily an issue, as long you pay big $$$ to the big three content providers.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

said by mlerner:

Negotiating isn't necessarily an issue, as long you pay big $$$ to the big three content providers media mob.

Corrected
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

indeedy

@videotron.ca

said by HeadSpinning:

said by mlerner:

Negotiating isn't necessarily an issue, as long you pay big $$$ to the big three content providers media mob.

Corrected

Agreed.
George Burger even said the same (more or less with diff words that is viewable online).

GeorgeBurger

join:2011-12-30
kudos:2
reply to Eye Popper

Hi EyePopper thanks very much for bringing this to our attention, and to my friends at TekSavvy who sent me the link. This story is clearly not over yet, and bears close scrutiny by every Canadian that cares about a competitive and innovative content delivery ecosystem. I know that there are alot of pretty keen gamers out there, but the fact is the killer app for the internet is the consumption of video content. Everyone loves to be informed and entertained and engaged before their screens, at home in the living room or on the bus to work. That is where all the money is now and will be for telecom players and that is what this fight is all about. If you control the content, you control the prices, you control where it can be seen, and you control what Canadians can watch. I really hope that message gets through to all Canadians who care about whether these choices should be dictated to them. Please stay engaged, and encourage everyone you know to stay engaged. What happens over the next six months could impact consumers' choices for a generation.

Eye Popper

@videotron.ca

said by GeorgeBurger:

This story is clearly not over yet, and bears close scrutiny by every Canadian that cares about a competitive and innovative content delivery ecosystem.

The thing is, as shown by some of the comments above and the comments in the previous topic you created, I don't think people realize this.

How many companies already filed about Bell's anti-competitive behavior because they couldn't negotiate with Bell for program rights?

I don't think people are aware of this at all.

All these entities filed with the CRTC about Bell not negotiating rights:
“This issue was recently exhaustively canvassed by the Commission in its Vertical Integration proceeding” (Bell, Supp. Brief, para 59). In fact, the CRTC observed that consumer groups, non-integrated distributors (Telus, MTS Allstream, SaskTel, Cogeco, Eastlink, etc.) as well as independent broadcasters (VMedia, APTN, Zoomer, etc.) “filed evidence and argument” that cast significant doubt about the capacity of the new vertical integration rules to effectively constrain “BCE’s alleged anti competitive behaviour with respect to program rights negotiations and product launches”

Source: »dwmw.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/cr···al-deal/

Yet in the same breath we have that gem of a quote by Cope in the first post.

Content is king. Ask the American entertainment & content machine.

said by GeorgeBurger:

If you control the content, you control the prices, you control where it can be seen, and you control what Canadians can watch. I really hope that message gets through to all Canadians who care about whether these choices should be dictated to them.

Nope I don't think many realize at all that content is Bells currency.

This past September when the head of the competition bureau stepped down (and many say she was forced out), she stated:
Creating large powerful “domestic champion” companies is bad for consumers and bad for the economy, the country’s activist competition watchdog said in a parting shot to Corporate Canada.

Melanie Aitken, who steps down Friday as head of the Competition Bureau, said she views firms “wrapping a deal in the flag” as a warning sign. ...

“If you coddle companies at home by allowing them to exploit Canadian consumers in order to be big on the world stage, you have done your own people a disservice … If that’s the way that a deal comes in, wrapping itself in the flag, I’m skeptical about the real efficiencies that are pushing the deal.”

The Competition Commissioner was not referring to any specific transaction.

But she acknowledged that the bureau is concerned about growing concentration in Canadian broadcasting and so-called “vertical integration” between content producers and the cable and satellite firms that control delivery.

Source: »www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···4558031/

And what is Bell doing? Bell is dressing it all up with a Canadian flag, as seen directly on their webpage they are flogging to the public.

Nope.. I don't think many people realize at all.

What should also be concerning is Bell's drive to go private and they want to sell off to the Americans. They couldn't the last time around due to foreign ownership rules. If/when that changes and they try to go private again, Canadian content will be in American hands anyhow. Doesn't matter how you dress this pig up.

I tried to find the link to the CRTC hearing you were at with VMedia over at CPAC, put just don't see it. And the old link from this topic is now dead (»Re: Stop the Bell Astral Deal-Help Wanted).

That was quite the powerful speech you gave. Though I think it went above the heads of a lot of people here. Wish I could find that video again...

I bet that Cope quote on that Bell spam website has a lot of people laughing.

I'm not very optimistic about round 2.

Bizaro World

@videotron.ca

George Cope Sez
Funny how there is a list of about a dozen people all complaining at the CRTC that they can't acquire rights for their IPTV service, plain TV service, or mobile platforms.

In effect the consumer loses since there is no competition on the platform of your choice.

Yet here George Cope is saying in the screen-shot that it all isn't true. It's all your imagination. People have a choice. Use Bell only or get nothing since we don't negotiate.

It really is quite Bizarre...