Paying by cash is the best way !!!!

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Not if you prefer to not carry wads of cash around with you. That in it self can be risky.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Bamboozled: Retailers are monitoring your return habits

said by Kearnstd:

Its interesting having looked into the ins and outs of supermarkets and a big reason people write checks still is they do not have the funds on hand. basically they are depending on the bank delay because they get paid a day later for example.

Actually, I still write checks at the supermarket because checks are faster than a card, even though you have to write it out.

I don't know where the bottleneck is, but sometimes the wait for people using cards is ridiculous.

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state
reply to antdude
Easy way to solve it -- shop like a pirate: Buy what you need, take nothing back.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to goalieskates
interesting I have never ever seen a check go faster than a card. people write so slow and then they write their numbers in screwy print/cursive hybrid so the cashier has to ask what they wrote to be sure its exact amount or cash back.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

goalieskates
Premium
land of big
said by Kearnstd:

interesting I have never ever seen a check go faster than a card. people write so slow and then they write their numbers in screwy print/cursive hybrid so the cashier has to ask what they wrote to be sure its exact amount or cash back.

One would think, but like I said ... and the register phones home to verify you have the funds to cover the check, too. The days of the float are long gone ... Even so, the check's quicker.

And that's not counting the poor old folks who are completely stymied by the buttons on the card swipe machine or the debit/credit question. Go figure. All I know is, standing in line you figure out real quick which method is going to be faster, and it's the check.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to antdude
Most people won't be put off by this policy. This, IMHO, is to disallow for those who are serious, buy and wear people, steal and return people, etc....not normal returns, especially at holiday season. For those who are veteran returners, I think it's good something is being done to control that factor. Business looses way too much due to improper returners!

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

Actually, I still write checks at the supermarket because checks are faster than a card, even though you have to write it out.
I don't know where the bottleneck is, but sometimes the wait for people using cards is ridiculous.

I don't know what store you're going to, but where I go, credit is faster than cash, let alone checks. I can swipe the card while items are being rung up, and if it's under $50, no signature is required either at the grocery or Walmart. No fumbling with change, cashier just hands me the receipt and I'm on my way. (I use a true credit card).

goalieskates
Premium
land of big

1 edit
You can get out of the grocery for under $50? No way ...

And you can prewrite checks too, ya know - just leave the amount open.

I'm not anti-card. But I do think you have to pay attention and not make false assumptions that cards are always faster, etc., or only people with no money write checks to float. Cause it ain't necessarily so.

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
said by goalieskates:

I can get out of there for under $50, but it didn't happen that way today, but I swiped the card while the clerk was ringing up the stuff, when ready, signed and was on my way. Way I see it, the signature trades off the dealing with change so about the same as cash, whereupon checks, well, they're running those things through a scanner, so checks are slower. But, for the card to be quick, it has to be swiped while the clerk is ringing the stuff up, not after.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

I'm going to the store after Star Wars is over. 1 1/2 gallons of milk plus 3 bags of Chips Ahoy! usually costs $19.75. What else does anyone ever need to buy?

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by Bob4:

What else does anyone ever need to buy?

Beer.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to antdude
if the WIC program ever goes to cards, Supermarkets will likely stop taking checks. Right now they take em because they may as well take them since they are setup for the WIC program.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports