share rss forum feed

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Wolfie00

Re: Are you a "collector"?

said by Wolfie00:

I vaguely remember hearing about the CED vinyl discs. The sad thing is that the technology was developed in the mid-60's, but due to bureaucracy at RCA didn't go into production until 1981. The timing couldn't have been worse. By that time it had competition from all sides -- both VHS and the newer two- and three-hour Betamax units as well as Laserdiscs had all been out for a few years already, so the thing was doomed from the start.

I remember when they came out and seeing them at Sears. The usual complaint (just like Laserdiscs) was "it can't record."
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
And by then you could buy a Betamax capable of recording three hours of high quality video on an L-750 cartridge. I know I did! I still have many boxes of L-500's and L-750's packed away somewhere. That original Betamax (which I eventually replaced with a newer one) was about the size of a suitcase!

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Not to mention Beta offered a superior picture compared to VHS. Sony was just too greedy/stupid to licence their technology to others compared to JVC who whored out VHS to every VCR maker in the world!
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
"Whored out" is an understatement to say the least! JVC even figured out how to make a compact version of a VHS tape that would still work in standard players. What we got was the legendary JVC GR-C1.

--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Mrs. Weather and I got a JVC VHS-C camcorder as a wedding gift many years ago.

It came with the powered VHS adapter "case" that you popped the VHS-C cassette into so you could play back what you recorded on a standard VHS VCR.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by mr weather:

Mrs. Weather and I got a JVC VHS-C camcorder as a wedding gift many years ago.
It came with the powered VHS adapter "case" that you popped the VHS-C cassette into so you could play back what you recorded on a standard VHS VCR.

Yup. My first camcorder when I was a kid was a VHS-C.