pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to pfak

Re: Smoke-proofing and sound-proofing from neighbours in condo

Click for full size
(Selling isn't really an option, nothing is built better here -- and certainly not for what I paid in Downtown Vancouver on a quiet street.)

I found the *actual* source of the smell, I've finished caulking and sealing the electric and RJ11 jacks and then I discovered this beauty (and I can smell the smoke very strongly here):

Heat register
--
The more I C, the less I see.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by pfak:

I found the *actual* source of the smell, I've finished caulking and sealing the electric and RJ11 jacks and then I discovered this beauty (and I can smell the smoke very strongly here):

Heat register

That doesn't look like a heat 'register'.
It looks like an electric baseboard heater (do you have electric heat??).

Is the smell coming through the wall or is it the heater? If it's the heater, call an electrician - there may be some arcing going on.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by MaynardKrebs:

When was the building constructed or majorly renovated? That will tell your which version of the fire code is applicable.

It was built in 2005.

said by MaynardKrebs:

Is the smell coming through the wall or is it the heater? If it's the heater, call an electrician - there may be some arcing going on.

It's coming through the wall, it's from when the neighbours are smoking in their unit. Air path goes directly between the two adjoining units, and there's a strong air pressure to blow the smoke due to the design of the building. I was looking at the design plans earlier. After plugging the hole, I can't smell any smoke from their unit anymore.

Sorry for the poor terminology, I do mean an electric baseboard heater!
--
The more I C, the less I see.