Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to pfak

Re: Smoke-proofing and sound-proofing from neighbours in condo

said by pfak:

Hi!

I live in a condo building with neighbours that both smoke, and are loud. I've been having my bedroom full of smoke even with the window closed.

When you say "full of smoke", exactly what do you mean?
Smell or actual visible smoke?

Smells might be covered under an existing condo bylaw.
Visible smoke may be covered under provincial law related to 2nd-hand smoke exposure or other such things.

If it's visible smoke and it gets to be too much, someone I once heard about actually pulled the fire alarm. Don't know whether they got in trouble for that, but it certainly woke people up (literally & figuratively) about the smoking issue in their building.

In addition to my other posts, you may want to consult with a lawyer specializing in BC condo law & human rights law.

How about getting a condo bylaw passed which says that anyone who smokes in their unit MUST have a window fan operating while smoking, and for 15 minutes post-smoking, in order to depressurize their unit? Might not totally eliminate the smell but it probably will help.

Also, the more you can to to make the common wall air-tight, the better off you will be. Get some caulk and seal around the bottom of the drywall/floor.

As to noise, a 2nd layer of 5/8" drywall glued to the existing drywall using **acoustic sealant** »www.homedepot.ca/product/pl-acou···l/972916 will make a world of difference.

See these for some Ontario thoughts:
»www.ontariocondolaw.com/2009/12/···defence/
»www.condoinformation.ca/book/export/html/86
»www.foglerrubinoff.com/pdfs/cond···2009.pdf
»www.lmlaw.ca/REMEDIES-FROM-FINES···NERS.pdf

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
I ended up using:

»www.homedepot.ca/product/duct-se···s/963529

Around the electrical outlets, and the RJ11 outlet -- additionally to fill the gap. I also caulked between the floor and the drywall. I don't think I've missed anything for now, so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for everyones assistance
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by pfak:

I ended up using:

»www.homedepot.ca/product/duct-se···s/963529

Around the electrical outlets, and the RJ11 outlet -- additionally to fill the gap. I also caulked between the floor and the drywall. I don't think I've missed anything for now, so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for everyones assistance

Glad you were able to resolve the issue without going off the "Deep end" of getting parliament to pass a bunch of laws to address it.