All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
quickguide1
join:2010-02-10

quickguide1

Returning Time Warner Cable Modem Question

Just received my modem that i bought so i don't have to pay monthly fee for leasing the road runner rca modem. Are most of you who are from NYC returning it in person? Do I just bring in the RCA modem and thats it? Do i need to return that ethernet cable or any wire they gave me?

Also, do you have to be the person on the bill's name to return it? Because i'm not the person who pays the bill on the account... but i assume i can still return it? If so, i assume i need to bring the time warner account bill and thats good enough?
monkeyboy2
join:2000-07-30
Syracuse, NY

monkeyboy2

The policies that I have read for our TW (CNY) dictate that you MUST return the modem in person, along with its charger/PS. The ethernet cable is not required. This is 50% of what really peeves me about this whole thing. You have to stand in line, which around here was about 45mins, to hand these things in person.

I would guess that its okay if you are the primary contact, as long as you have the account number and the modem's MAC matches what was on the account.

Just to complete the rant, the other 50% of what peeves me is that they won't allow you to buy your current modem from them, not at a reasonable (used) price (e.g. 50% off retail), not at ANY price. Why do they want all these old modems back (mine is at least 5-6 years old)? It just really makes it clear that they don't care about their customers, they REALLY just want their $4/mo and will make it as difficult as possible to let you avoid it.
quickguide1

quickguide1

To anyone who has returned it... what did you had to return? I spoke to them on phone and all the person said was the modem... no wire and thats it... or they making a mistake?

By charger do you mean power supply? You mean the plug in that says plug in class 2 transformer?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Just take back the modem and the electrical cable.

Hob
quickguide1

quickguide1

Also another question. There is a white loop wire that i still currently still use. Not sure name of it. That one i keep correct? I need that one as i need it to put into my new modem...

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by quickguide1:

Also another question. There is a white loop wire that i still currently still use. Not sure name of it. That one i keep correct? I need that one as i need it to put into my new modem...

Not sure really what you mean...but unless its a modem or a power cable, keep it!

Did the new modem not come with a white loop wire?

Hob
quickguide1

quickguide1

the modem i bought was a used modem but it works when i tried it. The modem came with power cord and ethernet cable and thats all...

Actually i cant even return that white loop its basically stuck to my wall in my room... not sure what thats called.
mathfaster
join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

mathfaster to quickguide1

to quickguide1
Not in NY but returned my modem and power supply to the TWC office. CSR scanned I think the serial number on the modem which is on my receipt, did some more data entry and that was it. Account prorated for number of days I had it. Did not return the ethernet cable.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to quickguide1

to quickguide1
I returned five modems because of connection problems. They don't want back the AC adapter or the Ethernet cable. If you give it to them they just throw them into the trash bin. All they want is the modem.
quickguide1

quickguide1

What do you mean account prorated for days you had it? Question. My bill shows 11/19-12/8 with the 3.95 internet modem lease. Does that mean if i return it this week, then i will get like $2 back? Is that what you meant by the prorated?
mathfaster
join:2005-09-23
Upland, CA

mathfaster to quickguide1

to quickguide1
Yes, monthly amount is divided by number of days in the billing period and you pay the per day amount you had the modem and get a credit for the days you did not lease the mode. Prorated.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier to tonyram57

to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

I returned five modems because of connection problems. They don't want back the AC adapter or the Ethernet cable. If you give it to them they just throw them into the trash bin. All they want is the modem.

I'd be cautious about the AC adapter. They want them back locally, especially the wall wart ones. Ancillary cables they don't care about. I just kept the original box mine came in and returned mine in that.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

So true. I always tell customers to include the power cord. When I returned a box to Charter, I forgot the cord, and the equipment was not removed from my account until the cord was received.

And get a receipt! Keep your receipt! An account will often continue to register equipment if the placeholder is not removed as well. Especially if closing an account, this (billing) placeholder will prevent the refund from being issued.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers to quickguide1

Premium Member

to quickguide1
for me they took the modem aside, put A/C and wires into a bag, and threw the bag into a bin with many other wires etc.

i had to wait 90 minutes for the return, but that was during the first 2 weeks of this nonsense, so it may be better now.

Jawsinc
Jaws Incorporated
join:2011-01-12
Woodside, NY

Jawsinc

Dont go to the Chelsea office. Like 2 people working w/so many customers that people are sitting on the ground. i waited over an hour. the best part is the employees could care less.

worse than the dmv.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to quickguide1

Premium Member

to quickguide1
I returned my modem and power cord last Wednesday. Waited for one person who was ahead of me in line. By the time I returned home and checked the My Services website, the $3.95 credit was there.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to Dampier

to Dampier

I'd be cautious about the AC adapter. They want them back locally, especially the wall wart ones. Ancillary cables they don't care about. I just kept the original box mine came in and returned mine in that.

The first two modems I exchanged I gave them the power cord and they just threw them into the trash bin. The other modems I exchanged I did not even give them the power cord and they did not ask for it. I went the TWC center in Brooklyn. It may be different where you go though.