normal

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
reply to Anav

Re: Hard Drive Deals

I may be... jadded... but I really see 1TB drives almost as bad as 500gb drives or 250gb drives.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
said by Devanchya:

I may be... jadded... but I really see 1TB drives almost as bad as 500gb drives or 250gb drives.

You really are jaded. People who aren't media whores that feel like they need to keep every episode of every tv show or every copy of every movie they have seen, rarely use even a fraction of that.

My hard drive usage is so small on most of my computers, 1TB seems like an ultra waste of space -- I have in no way kept up witht he expansion of hard drive space. In the days of 40GB and 60GB hard drives, yes I ran out of space after 2-3 years. Now after 2-3 years on with a given computer, I'm at... hmm lets see... 223GB on PC1 (brand new Dell laptop I just transferred everything over to), 167GB on PC2 (HP Desktop), 445 GB on my file server (and that includes an obscene amount of MP3's as well as several full series of TV shows - Lost, Firefly, Heroes, Jericho, House, Chuck, Big Bang Theory)... I upgraded the file server to 1TB this summer ($59 on sale) - it'll probably be 2 -3 years before I fill that - maybe more - by which time 10TB drives will likely be on the market, and 3TB drives will be $49.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
I am kind of that way too. Right now I use my Mac most of the time with a 320 GB drive. It has about 60 GB free. The largest usage is abound 60GB of music and lots of photos.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
said by donoreo:

I am kind of that way too. Right now I use my Mac most of the time with a 320 GB drive. It has about 60 GB free. The largest usage is abound 60GB of music and lots of photos.

I just don't get the need for people to hoard video... way back when i first started grabbing mp3s (napster? maybe on ftp before that?) it took 10 minutes to download a song... maybe 15 (5Mb... 56kbps modem)... so it made sense when you got the song you kept it - you couldn't get it back if you wanted it right now - and you wanted to put it on portable media players, burn to cd's etc..

Now - I don't get it - why save a movie I download - I can get it in half the time it takes to watch, or less... I have Netflix (US & Canada), Hulu, HBO Online, etc - I can get most shows or movies streaming right now - no need to store them. Way back when I used to keep a few hundred VHS tapes around so I had a "library" of movies to watch. I can now instantly access a library 200 times larger.. so I'm not losing out.

The stuff out of my digital camera is probably the biggest single chunk of data I have, and I keep it replicated on all 3 computers at all times - probably around 80 GB of data... 5MB per picture, somewhere around 15,000 pictures (I don't bother keeping the .NEF raw stuff except for very few "precious" photos that I might want the option of reprocessing various ways... most things - the 13mp JPG file is fine for...) - so again - I just can't fathom even filling 1TB, letalone 2, 3, or 30 TB anytime in the next several years.

My personal videos that I record myself - so rare that I doubt it adds up to 25GB total...

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Hydraglass:

Now - I don't get it - why save a movie I download

Aside from the fact that downloading a one hour HD television show typically takes 5-10 minutes on a 20-30Mbit connection as it is - not to mention the fact that a full Bluray rip takes a whole lot longer - and therefore would be just as legitimate to horde as your MP3s in the Napster days, we live in Canada. UBB is a scourge designed to punitively punish us for downloading, only making people want to horde even more. Netflix and other online streaming sources not only lack selection compared to the places people horde from, but also in many respects lack the quality some people demand as well.

And really, it's their choice if they want to. How you feel on the issue is ultimately irrelevant, and you're not going to convince anyone who feels otherwise to do anything different.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

(I don't bother keeping the .NEF raw stuff except for very few "precious" photos that I might want the option of reprocessing various ways... most things - the 13mp JPG file is fine for...) - so again - I just can't fathom even filling 1TB, letalone 2, 3, or 30 TB anytime in the next several years.

I am the opposite. I only keep the RAW files. I have the current year on my computer, backed up to a NAS, and the previous years on another NAS.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Hydraglass
1TB is nothing when you back up your SD DVD's before your kids get their grubby little fingers on them, and/or drop them on the floor where they get scratched.
DVD's on h-drive, upscaled to 1080(i?) through WD TV, = no need to repurchase HD versions, or stream a movie I've already purchased.
Saving my DVD's and $$ is not "hoarding", which is why I jumped on the 3TB Seagate sale the other week.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
said by EUS:

1TB is nothing when you back up your SD DVD's before your kids get their grubby little fingers on them, and/or drop them on the floor where they get scratched.
DVD's on h-drive, upscaled to 1080(i?) through WD TV, = no need to repurchase HD versions, or stream a movie I've already purchased.
Saving my DVD's and $$ is not "hoarding", which is why I jumped on the 3TB Seagate sale the other week.

It's called RAID.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
RAID, non-RAID, doesn't matter, I'm just explaining to someone their way of using media is not everyone's way.
--
~ Project Hope ~

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Hydraglass:

(I don't bother keeping the .NEF raw stuff except for very few "precious" photos that I might want the option of reprocessing various ways... most things - the 13mp JPG file is fine for...) - so again - I just can't fathom even filling 1TB, letalone 2, 3, or 30 TB anytime in the next several years.

I am the opposite. I only keep the RAW files. I have the current year on my computer, backed up to a NAS, and the previous years on another NAS.

I've got a 1TB file nearly full of digital photos I've taken. I shot in raw then process to a TIFF and save another copy as a JPG for my online gallery and Flickr...

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by vue666:

said by donoreo:

said by Hydraglass:

I've got a 1TB file nearly full of digital photos I've taken. I shot in raw then process to a TIFF and save another copy as a JPG for my online gallery and Flickr...

Since I use Lightroom, I only keep RAW and export as needed. I export directly to Flickr and it then deletes the local jpg created.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
I have another 1TB hard drive that is nearly full of digital paintings and 3D renderings...

I ordered a Seagate 3TB on Friday from NCIX and it arrived Monday... Fast service...