Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to Satch

Premium Member

to Satch

Re: [TWC] Time Warner Navigator

said by Satch:

On the serious side though, I heard from a customer who had a truck role. The tech said that ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix a lot of these slowdown problems. He said it is gonna hit very soon. He also said that some areas have it now, but I have not heard any mainstream areas that have it yet.

Satch

I'll start by saying I'm in the TWC Raleigh/Durham market, but we have some of the same issues your market has been having... most annoyingly, boxes hang and miss recordings. They usually slow down before this happens. It seems like stability got worse after the update that brought the new color scheme.

My 8640HDC just hung again and I checked the diagnostics after rebooting. Under the Application Information screen, TWC_ODN_6_0_0_19 has shown up but is not loaded. We're still running on 5_2_0_9. However, seeing signs of the new version is encouraging.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 edit

1 recommendation

Satch

said by j1349705:

said by Satch:

On the serious side though, I heard from a customer who had a truck role. The tech said that ODN 6.0 is supposed to fix a lot of these slowdown problems. He said it is gonna hit very soon. He also said that some areas have it now, but I have not heard any mainstream areas that have it yet.

Satch

I'll start by saying I'm in the TWC Raleigh/Durham market, but we have some of the same issues your market has been having... most annoyingly, boxes hang and miss recordings. They usually slow down before this happens. It seems like stability got worse after the update that brought the new color scheme.

My 8640HDC just hung again and I checked the diagnostics after rebooting. Under the Application Information screen, TWC_ODN_6_0_0_19 has shown up but is not loaded. We're still running on 5_2_0_9. However, seeing signs of the new version is encouraging.

There was a patch update in many divisions that was released a few days to a week ago. It is going around on the boxes, and AFAIK it is supposed to improve the 30-40 days slow response time that occurs in patterns, where all you can do is reboot the box. This patch is supposed to fix this. It also is supposed to correctly calculate the percent of DVR space used, which was showing up incorrectly on some boxes.

There could be some under the hood preparations for ODN 6.0. I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features. The first to launch will be an Advanced Search filtering system in addition to a new expanded VOD menu.

Satch
ddeerrff
join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI

ddeerrff

said by Satch:

"I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features."

Really looking forward to that - NOT! Right now, any time my box has to go 'outside' to look for data, it can hang for as long as 60 seconds. Can't imagine how responsive it will be if it has to look outside for all the data.
Satch

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

said by Satch:

"I'm am told that ODN 6.0 allows users to filter the Time Grid by Subscribed Channels and will be a major preparation for Cloud-Based networking features."

Really looking forward to that - NOT! Right now, any time my box has to go 'outside' to look for data, it can hang for as long as 60 seconds. Can't imagine how responsive it will be if it has to look outside for all the data.

I share those same concerns. What the cloud will do is still being developed and tested with the different boxes. It's a solid issue. You free up the boxes' RAM by gradually moving services to the cloud, BUT at what cost, concerning the amount of time delay between button presses and the information coming down from the server to the box?

The last patch update is supposed to fix the percent of used DVR space bug as well as fix the 30-40 day slowdown bug. There might be under the hood preps for ODN 6.0 with this patch.

Ddeerff, what make and model box do you have?

Satch
ddeerrff
join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI

ddeerrff

Samsung non-DVR. Probably single tuner.
Satch

Satch

said by ddeerrff:

Samsung non-DVR. Probably single tuner.

Yup,

Non-DVR is single tuner. Try to swap it for a Cisco. They are much faster.

Satch

PS. I heard the Cisco 4642HDC and 4742HDC are very fast.