[X1] Comcast miles behind Verizon FIOS

Sad but true
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Why sad. if you feel that way be on your way to fios.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

At least Comcast understands that parts of Central New Jersey are as close to Philadelphia as they are to New York and offers more local channels (from Philadelphia) in those areas and just not just duplicate it's North Jersey/ Long Island as a "Central New Jersey Lineup"as FiOS does. Only in Mercer County does FiOS actually "Get It" offering both sets of channels.

AnnaS8
join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

AnnaS8 to newguide454

to newguide454
I have to agree. They are way behind. Just look at the guide software. It looks like it is from the 80's. I had to move and FIOS isn't available where I am now. I miss the better guide and UI. I also miss the 500 GB hard drives in the DVRs. The small drives in the Comcast DVRs fill up so fast. I guess this is Comcasts way of making you rent an additional DVR from them so they get more money out of you. I am not hating on Comcast cuz we get solid service from them but they are playing catch up to everyone else.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Comcast has DVRs with 500GB drives. I have two.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to newguide454

MVM

to newguide454
said by owlyn:

Comcast has DVRs with 500GB drives. I have two.

Not only that, but the latest Comcast DVR models also have the ability to add a 1TB DVR Expander:

»Cisco RNG200: Can I add an HD for more capacity?

»[Comcast Equip] DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

AnnaS8
join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

AnnaS8 to owlyn

to owlyn
Interesting...Not available in my area or at least not 6 months ago when I asked the tech who came to my house to run a new outlet. All he would tell me is they are working on it. I think I will call them in the morning. Thanks.

SeaSeaTee5
join:2010-05-06
Maryland

SeaSeaTee5

They are definitely available in the Annapolis office, but it depends if they have any in stock. Sometimes they only have the older ones. IT depends on what the hub ships to them. You may have better luck if you go to the office.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to newguide454

to newguide454
41 HD premiums to 6.

If you're into HD movies, then I think the statement Comcast is miles behind FiOS is absolutely correct. The additional channels that Comcast offers in HD are not critical ones.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to newguide454

Premium Member

to newguide454
Comcast knows my neighborhood exists, Verizon FiOS does not. I am pretty sure I could get the highest D3 speed here and Verizon has not even pushed a single strand of fiber into the conduits below the street. As such Comcast is superior at the moment because they at least upgraded this area to their latest technology.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A

Verizon had the empty FiOS boxes installed on my street but never installed the fiber optics. FiOS been wired up fore some time as close as a block away. Around four mounts ago i went to Local FiOS office in South Brunswick Square they would get back to me with a status report on my street in a few days they never did.

If it ever came to my street i would get fewer local channels minus the Philadelphia channels I get on Comcast now in HD.