spc
uniqs
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158 to newdgamez

to newdgamez

Re: Current numbers - Will they ever support a higher upload?

What i would do if i was you is try calling them and aks if they can do anything about providing you more upload speed. What i don't understand is if they have capacity to the node for 20Mb down, the hardware in the node should be able to support similar total upload capacity. (20mb down capacity means the node is most likely fiber fed)

Apparently they think nobody likes uploading youtube videos, leaving everyone up to 20mb down on 896k up....
bds85466
join:2012-11-17
Waconia, MN

bds85466

said by Nemesis158:

Apparently they think nobody likes uploading youtube videos, leaving everyone up to 20mb down on 896k up....

Apparently we're a nation of takers, not givers.....

Why the sharp contrast between the speeds? 20 is a nice DL speed, but I've often wondered why the severe discrepancy between he two? I'm like a 9.5 dl and .6 ul.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to Nemesis158

Premium Member

to Nemesis158
said by Nemesis158:

What i would do if i was you is try calling them and aks if they can do anything about providing you more upload speed. What i don't understand is if they have capacity to the node for 20Mb down, the hardware in the node should be able to support similar total upload capacity. (20mb down capacity means the node is most likely fiber fed)

It's a question of the DSL standard and corresponding equipment he's on. I assume he's on standard ADSL2+, which doesn't support upstream rates much higher that what he has.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to see if VDSL2 is available to him though; that does support much higher upstream rates. Unfortunately it's not a simple firmware upgrade- it requires hardware (the DSLAM) that supports VDSL2.
newdgamez
join:2010-02-18
Loveland, CO

newdgamez

said by dynodb:

said by Nemesis158:

It's a question of the DSL standard and corresponding equipment he's on. I assume he's on standard ADSL2+, which doesn't support upstream rates much higher that what he has.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to see if VDSL2 is available to him though; that does support much higher upstream rates. Unfortunately it's not a simple firmware upgrade- it requires hardware (the DSLAM) that supports VDSL2.

I just checked the modem stats, and it says: VDSL2 - 8A

I know my neighbor across the street, he can get the 40 down, and 5 meg up service.

I call Century link every now and then and nearly beg them for a faster upload, been doing that for almost 2 years. I dunno, I guess I'm going to be stuck on this 896k up
newdgamez

newdgamez to Nemesis158

to Nemesis158
said by Nemesis158:

I've tried that soo many times

I dunno, I know I don't understand the mechanics of DSL, I'm guessing my line is to far away. Speaking of this type of issue, you guys ever think Century Link, or DSL as a whole, the technology, will allow faster uploads over the same line at the same distance. Or am I just truly screwed?