Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

1 edit

Maintenance day: OMG why so long?

3am PST to 11 am PST ?
What are they doing? Rebuilding the hard drives by hand

One thing I don't understand is why so they switch off all the servers at one rime? I guess it makes it easy to do maintenance on the hardware and apply patches.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just do 10 at a time, and leave the rest up for us addicts?

Note: I hope they fix the graphics glitch that has been hitting some Mac/linux users this go round.
The glitch:
Can't see your toon when you have the equipment window open.
Can't see your indicator on the map.
For what ever reason what is supposed to be on top of the background in the windows, is behind the background.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Re: Patch day: OMG why so long?

I hope they fix the glitch that causes those of us with Radeon GPUs to have hard lock-ups for no reason at all (happens in Halls of Lightning, Valley of Four Winds, Spirit Kings raid fight, Will of the Emperor fight, etc.).
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

I've never had such a glitch.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Yeah, I don't know what combination of factors is causing it. What GPU do you have? I am running a 7970.

Endbringer

join:2012-10-07
Fishers, IN
reply to Snakeoil

is this 5.1???

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Snakeoil

Is this truly a patch or just regularly scheduled maintenance?

Anyone have patch notes?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
Mentor, OH

I doubt it's a patch, my apologies. I use the same term interchangeably with WOW in my house.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil

Re: Maintenance day: OMG why so long?

It's weekly Go-to-work day.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Only day all week for me. lol

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Snakeoil

They're enabling another LFR

ToES LFR opens today.

and part of the reason for them to all be down is the auth servers likely have to go down for maintenance so with those down the rest don't matter.

Then factor in the number of servers that make a single realm, add in instance servers, and now CRZ.

btw for those that don't know
each realm is atleast 5 servers.
EK
Kali
Outland (This includes the Belf and space goat lands)
Northrend
Panda land

then for each battle group there are instance servers (these are actually shared across the region now) these are for dungeons, raids, BGs, and arenas.

so considering the number of servers just to make one realm work it'd be crazy to have them done in sets.

also if they were done in sets then people would QQ about world firsts more than they do.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
Mentor, OH

quote:
Outland

I never saw a Sean Connery toon there

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Snakeoil

At least they have gotten better at getting servers up on time, and usually all of them at once. I still have a ton of sub lvl 10 toons on servers I only ever played on because they were the first to come up on patch days when they were supposed to be up at noon PST, but weren't all up until 8 pm PST with the first ones coming up at 6.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Archivis

But, but, Mom only takes me outside on Sundays to get more hot pockets.

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

+1

ChadS81

join:2008-01-20
Saint Marys, PA
reply to Snakeoil

Hey, OP. It's been like this for 8 years, are you new or something? Very rarely do they ever perform the quick and painless rolling restarts opposed to extended maintenance.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

quote:
Outland

I never saw a Sean Connery toon there

+1 internets to you, sir. Excellent movie, very much overlooked.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to DarkLogix

With another 470 LFR, gearing up for regular raids is easier than ever.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

said by Archivis:

sweet! another 28gx3!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Archivis

If you're real unlucky you get nothing.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Immer

said by Immer:

said by Archivis:

sweet! another 28gx3!

x4
ToES has 4 bosses.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

...oh, have mercy!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to DarkLogix

double-post... (lag spike).

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
reply to Immer

Wanna hear something funny, I got all 3 of my tier pieces last night from LFR.

Since I was doing 30-40% of the total healing, I guess the game decided to give me loot for once, IDK? By the time I saw the last piece I almost died laughing.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

gratz. I'm sure I'll laugh when the wave of jealousy subsides.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

said by Immer:

said by Archivis:

sweet! another 28gx3!

x4
ToES has 4 bosses.

Omg the pain... need more coins....
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to JB

said by JB:

Since I was doing 30-40% of the total healing, I guess the game decided to give me loot for once, IDK? By the time I saw the last piece I almost died laughing.

Had something similar happen to me in Dragon Soul LFR... went from 2-pc set to 4-pc set, plus added a trinket, on three consecutive bosses. That's after running both halves of DS LFR for about 6 weeks without a single piece of gear. The RNG is a fickle mistress.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to JB

said by JB:

woooow

I think Jobbie got two copies of gloves he already has from the same boss. Roll + bonus roll FTL.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to Snakeoil

this is part of the maintenance today as well and it takes time

Providing an environment where players can compete in the spirit of fair play is extremely important to us, particularly in rated Player versus Player combat. As part of that commitment we regularly monitor gameplay, and have discovered an issue where some Arena teams have exploited the queuing system to obtain high team ratings, “dodge” unfavorable team compositions, and engage in win trading.

These, and all, exploitative activities are absolutely prohibited. We will investigate the situation carefully, and players that have been found to have participated in exploitation will be subject to the appropriate actions against their World of Warcraft accounts and characters, including:

Arena team deletion
Character MMR reset to 1500
All Conquest gear removed
Conquest earned tally reset, as well as all Honor and Conquest points removed.
All Arena achievements earned since the beginning of Mists of Pandaria removed.
3 day suspension

In addition to the measures already discussed, as a result of the rating inflation that occurred due to the exploitative activity, all Team Ratings and MMR above 2200 will be reset to 2200 during the upcoming maintenance.

Please note: Conquest Point caps should not be affected by this reset. Point Caps will return to the appropriate levels relative to rating the following week.

Does that include RBG ratings? A quick answer would be appreciated as queuing hangs in the balance!
It doesn't include Rated Battlegrounds at this time, and this is primarily aimed at the recognized Arena issue.

We're looking into RBGs though.

I think this change is geared towards people who weren't intentionally exploiting, but gained rating off of exploiters.
Correct!
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Caelharrad

said by Caelharrad:

said by JB:

Had something similar happen to me in Dragon Soul LFR... went from 2-pc set to 4-pc set, plus added a trinket, on three consecutive bosses. That's after running both halves of DS LFR for about 6 weeks without a single piece of gear. The RNG is a fickle mistress.

That was likely on the old LFR loot system.

Now I've gotten the same crap multiple times, and in reg I've burned coins only to get a neck that wasn't an upgrade.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by JB:

woooow

I think Jobbie got two copies of gloves he already has from the same boss. Roll + bonus roll FTL.

It was worse than that.

Bought BoE gloves from AH because they were cheap (sigh) for 3k right before the queue, gem and enchant, jump into LFR and get double gloves.

So I guess I can start my frost set and my fire set.

ftl
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.