join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I prefer the malls

I do most of my shopping the old fashioned way, at the mall. 95 percent of my purchases come from the various merchants at the Holyoke Mall at Ingleside (Holyoke, MA). I buy my electronics at Best Buy, my household goods at Target, clothing at Macy's, Appliances and tools at Sears, cell phones/accessories at the Verizon Wireless corporate store, computer stuff at the Apple Store, etc. The cost of getting there is included in my bus pass (since the car cannot get an inspection sticker and I cannot afford to fix it). The nice things about the malls is instant gratification, you go home and unbox it, no waiting for the UPS guy or missed/stolen packages. As there are very few recreation opportunities in Western Massachusetts, going to the mall is a primary form of recreation for me. I go to Holyoke Mall a lot that I've even unlocked the Mall Rat badge on my Foursquare account.

I don't like shopping online unless it is a hard to find or specialty item. I have had mixed experiences from shopping online from good to not so good (such as merchandise that appeared to be used or damaged goods). Also, shopping in the malls, you can reject damaged merchandise on the spot. The packaging is a telltale sign of the item's condition and if the packaging is damaged, appears to have been opened/returned, or has the seals broken, I can reject the item on the spot and not take it to the register. Also, I dig through the shelves and look for the item with the best packaging.

I just wish we did not have that 6.25 percent sales tax.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

said by IowaCowboy:

I do most of my shopping the old fashioned way, at the mall. 95 percent of my purchases come from the various merchants at the Holyoke Mall at Ingleside (Holyoke, MA). I buy my electronics at Best Buy, my household goods at Target, clothing at Macy's, Appliances and tools at Sears, cell phones/accessories at the Verizon Wireless corporate store, computer stuff at the Apple Store, etc. The cost of getting there is included in my bus pass (since the car cannot get an inspection sticker and I cannot afford to fix it). The nice things about the malls is instant gratification, you go home and unbox it, no waiting for the UPS guy or missed/stolen packages. As there are very few recreation opportunities in Western Massachusetts, going to the mall is a primary form of recreation for me. I go to Holyoke Mall a lot that I've even unlocked the Mall Rat badge on my Foursquare account.

I don't like shopping online unless it is a hard to find or specialty item. I have had mixed experiences from shopping online from good to not so good (such as merchandise that appeared to be used or damaged goods). Also, shopping in the malls, you can reject damaged merchandise on the spot. The packaging is a telltale sign of the item's condition and if the packaging is damaged, appears to have been opened/returned, or has the seals broken, I can reject the item on the spot and not take it to the register. Also, I dig through the shelves and look for the item with the best packaging.

I just wish we did not have that 6.25 percent sales tax.

i agree much with this. I can also see a display of the product i am considering and maybe even try it right there and hold it in my hand. Online i can't really do these things and website descriptions can be wrong or confusing. Then theres the shipping hassle. Want to use a PO box instead of it left on your porch / lawn expect a "we don't ship to a PO box song and dance". OK good you don't want my money either. Then stores like walmart play games like this item only online not available in stores. OK good i don't need it that bad either and will live without it. Unless its a custom item that i can't find in a store or a vintage item (ebay in that case) i will choose a brick and mortar store even if it costs a few more dollars i save on aggravation and if it doesn't work out i can exchange / return it.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
reply to IowaCowboy
I simply can't pass up the savings and convenience of shopping online. With Amazon Prime eligible items, I can get the items shipped in 2 days or choose to pay $3.99 to have it sent overnight. I ordered a $2500 TV after researching my purchase late Thursday afternoon, paid $3.99 extra to have it delivered that Friday right to my front door. Love it! Newegg is another of my favorite shopping sites, with excellent service and speedy deliveries.

The overwhelming majority of my experiences with online purchases have been positive, and this goes back several years. That makes a big difference, to be sure.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
Yes, amazon prime is addictive.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to norbert26
said by norbert26:

Then theres the shipping hassle. Want to use a PO box instead of it left on your porch / lawn expect a "we don't ship to a PO box song and dance". OK good you don't want my money either. Then stores like walmart play games like this item only online not available in stores.

I actually prefer when a store will allow me to shop online but will deliver (at no additional charge) my purchase to their local store. Also because I understand that no "brick and mortar" store can afford an unlimited inventory I don't consider it playing games when the inventory is virtually extended online.