Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to AnnaS8

MVM

to AnnaS8

Re: Some hardware questions

The 256GB SSD option is listed as a SATA 6Gb/s model which would likely occupy a 2.5” bay like the 1TB HDD option. However, the 64GB SSD mSATA option is a different smaller form factor which leaves the 2.5” bay open for a 1TB HDD (unless there are two 2.5” bays). The 64GB SSD mSATA model is also listed as a Caching SSD.

mSATA SSD models tend to be a bit more expensive then the typical SATA SSD models but the speed is potentially about the same assuming they are both SATA III. The 64GB mSATA Caching SSD was not specified as SATA III by your description.

Anyway, to put it simply:

The 256GB SSD option gives you the raw speed of an SSD but you have to manage your storage space judiciously.

The 64GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD option will give you (I’m assuming Intel Z7xx or Z6xx chipset variant with Intel SRT) the majority of the speed of an SSD in some cases as it caches data from the HDD. It’s a compromise where you get speed benefits based on what will fit in the cache (up to 64GB) and you don’t have to manage space on a small-ish SSD because the caching is dynamically based on the most frequently used apps.

AnnaS8
join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

AnnaS8

said by Octavean:

The 256GB SSD option is listed as a SATA 6Gb/s model which would likely occupy a 2.5” bay like the 1TB HDD option. However, the 64GB SSD mSATA option is a different smaller form factor which leaves the 2.5” bay open for a 1TB HDD (unless there are two 2.5” bays). The 64GB SSD mSATA model is also listed as a Caching SSD.

mSATA SSD models tend to be a bit more expensive then the typical SATA SSD models but the speed is potentially about the same assuming they are both SATA III. The 64GB mSATA Caching SSD was not specified as SATA III by your description.

Anyway, to put it simply:

The 256GB SSD option gives you the raw speed of an SSD but you have to manage your storage space judiciously.

The 64GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD option will give you (I’m assuming Intel Z7xx or Z6xx chipset variant with Intel SRT) the majority of the speed of an SSD in some cases as it caches data from the HDD. It’s a compromise where you get speed benefits based on what will fit in the cache (up to 64GB) and you don’t have to manage space on a small-ish SSD because the caching is dynamically based on the most frequently used apps.

Well the drive size shouldn't be much of an issue since most of my media I stream anyway. I don't do a whole lot of gaming but want the option if I decide to do so and really it would be maybe 2 or 3 games if that.

Octavean I am sorry for the lack of deeper info on the drives but that is all the website gave me for info.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Click for full size
Sounds like the straight SSD build would have plenty of space for your needs.

I wouldn't worry about SSD longevity. They're designed to handle a LOT of written data, and reads aren't a problem for them. Even Intel's new 20nm NAND-driven 335 SSD can handle a lot of writes, and the first batches of NAND on a new process node can be weak with the max number of writes.

I've attached a screenshot of some SMART/health readings from my own main SSD, which has been powered up pretty much 24/7 since I got it in March 2011. I've written over 5 TB to the drive and it's reporting zero issues. No retired blocks or program/erase cycle failures.

AnnaS8
Annapolis, MD

AnnaS8

Ok so let me see if I got this correct...speed wise the SSD will boot faster but the SSD and SATA drive will run about the same after the OS has booted up or am I wrong?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

For the most part,…

In a pure SSD environment the system will boot faster as you said but applications will start faster too. The system will overall feel more responsive in many cases. Disc intensive applications / operations will typically receive speed improvements as well.

In the hybrid SSD cache + HDD case, if there is something that isn’t in the cache you drop down to the speed of the HDD

AnnaS8
Annapolis, MD

AnnaS8

Ok thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It has been very appreciated.