People Suck.
join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

LeftOfSanity to shdesigns

to shdesigns

Re: 89 Bronco II - Wont go into gear. Leaking Fluid Reservoir

said by shdesigns:

Again, is the reservoir empty?

I think the other side hooks into a hole.

Apparently its been leaking for awhile but the driver failed to mention it to anyone. They have just been putting fluid into it.

It was close to empty when I got to it.

Yes the other side looks like it hooks to a hole. I cant tell it the fluid squirted everywhere or if its leaking from behind that panel.

Not sure if anything clutch related is even behinf that panel.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

The clutch master cylinder will be at the other end of the hose. That or the slave cylinder is likely the source of the leak.

The master cylinder could be leaking inside the firewall; usually behind the carpet.

I would doubt the reservoir would leak unless you could see a crack.

The mess on the firewall could be from the PO spilling fluid refilling the reservoir.

Check the master and slave cylinders for leaks.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to LeftOfSanity

Premium Member

to LeftOfSanity
From what I remember from my old Bronco II, the reservoir is just mounted to that plate. Nothing behind it.

The hose from the reservoir should go down to the master cylinder for the clutch. There should them be a steel line that goes down to and enters the tranny for the slave cylinder.

My guess is that the clutch master cylinder has a broken seal and needs to be replaced. Really isn't that hard to do except for having to bleed the air out. I cannot remember the procedure for that off the top of my head.

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.
join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

LeftOfSanity to shdesigns

to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

The clutch master cylinder will be at the other end of the hose. That or the slave cylinder is likely the source of the leak.

The master cylinder could be leaking inside the firewall; usually behind the carpet.

I would doubt the reservoir would leak unless you could see a crack.

The mess on the firewall could be from the PO spilling fluid refilling the reservoir.

Check the master and slave cylinders for leaks.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to look further, is there an easy way to tell if its either the master or slave thats bad?

Ill obviously watch it while someone pumps it to see where fluid comes out, but other than that?

shdesigns