All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Tuffcalc
join:2012-08-04

Tuffcalc

Should I purchase the Hitron?

Anyone see a reason not to purchase the Hitron? Any chance this modem will be incompatible with higher speeds? Eventually would like to switch to Teksavvy provided they get the 150/10 speeds, so would it not be a good idea to purchase this modem now in anticipation of using it elsewhere in the future?

Thanks
caca
join:2012-11-19
Kitchener, ON

caca

don`t buy it not that good just rent it cause you might not be able to use it with savvy

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Tuffcalc

Mod

to Tuffcalc
Even though the Hitron is what Rogers sells and rents, it's not been approved for TekSavvy customers. As crazy as it seems, Rogers will NOT provision a TekSavvy customer with a modem that is not on TekSavvy's approved list! It's been the same for other modem brands too.
Tuffcalc

Tuffcalc

Does Rogers have a grab and go kit for the Hitron?
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by Tuffcalc:

Does Rogers have a grab and go kit for the Hitron?

My advise would be to rent a modem from rogers and when you go over to teksavvy then just buy a used/refurb modem off ebay or something. They are very cheap these days. Don't buy a modem from rogers, its a rip off if I've ever seen one.
Tuffcalc

Tuffcalc

Service installed last night but I received a DPC-3825 modem. Receiving 150/10 speeds without issue...

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to technocar2

Premium Member

to technocar2
The only modem that is officially allowed for both TPIA and Rogers is the SMCD3GN. It is okay, but not exactly recommended. One of the TPIAs will have to use up their single free modem approval to get either the Cisco or Hitron approved. It might happen next year, but with new models coming out all the time there are lots of other candidates.

As it is, even with the SMCD3GN, Rogers is pushing firmware 3.1.4.45.2, but they require TPIA customers to be using the older 1.4.0.40. That can be dealt with, but... Rogers tries to make life as difficult as possible I think.
said by technocar2:

My advise would be to rent a modem from rogers and when you go over to teksavvy then just buy a used/refurb modem off ebay or something. They are very cheap these days. Don't buy a modem from rogers, its a rip off if I've ever seen one.

From eBay?! That hurts There are local (hint hint) dealers who guarantee compatibility and are knowledgeable and helpful.