Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

[WIN8] more 'great' press for Win8

»tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/20/···ighlight

From the article:

What's alarming is that Microsoft seems to be blaming others for these issues instead of taking responsibility for them and proposing meaningful solutions. Engineers inside the company are reportedly blaming the PC manufacturers for its lackluster sales and now seem to be blaming every component maker for not updating their parts to interface correctly with Windows 8. Microsoft representatives declines to comment for this story.

And they made Apple apologize over Maps??? Where the F is Bollimer??

--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
Think big picture. Exception is not the trend.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by digitalfutur:

Think big picture. Exception is not the trend.

Google windows 8 - exception or rule......

»www.useit.com/alertbox/windows-8.html
--

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to dellsweig
I'm sorry, my laptop had issues with an OS upgrade is not a good example. The problem Microsoft faces when they launch an OS is that anyone can make a PC and there is no way to test every possible combination. Laptops complicate the issue with their own parts. If it wasn't working on machine that shipped with Windows 8 you might have something.

I had Windows 8 RTM on my machine when I built it. The problem was driver support. I can't blame Microsoft for that. When the drivers are released I'll put it back on.

Just because people can't figure out Windows 8 on release day doesn't mean it is a failure. I'm sure there are things in Windows XP and Windows 7 that I'd have a longer time accomplishing, even though I have used them for years. Just because someone can't find out how to change the start screen color doesn't mean the UI is a failure. Just because someone doesn't know what live icon is which on your desktop doesn't mean it is confusing. Who cares what icon is which, if I put them on they will have the information I want, how often do I need to access icon X by name?

Slag it all you want, it is no BOB or ME.
--
“Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” ¯ Robert A. Heinlein

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by Kilroy:

I'm sorry, my laptop had issues with an OS upgrade is not a good example. The problem Microsoft faces when they launch an OS is that anyone can make a PC and there is no way to test every possible combination. Laptops complicate the issue with their own parts. If it wasn't working on machine that shipped with Windows 8 you might have something.

I had Windows 8 RTM on my machine when I built it. The problem was driver support. I can't blame Microsoft for that. When the drivers are released I'll put it back on.

Just because people can't figure out Windows 8 on release day doesn't mean it is a failure. I'm sure there are things in Windows XP and Windows 7 that I'd have a longer time accomplishing, even though I have used them for years. Just because someone can't find out how to change the start screen color doesn't mean the UI is a failure. Just because someone doesn't know what live icon is which on your desktop doesn't mean it is confusing. Who cares what icon is which, if I put them on they will have the information I want, how often do I need to access icon X by name?

Slag it all you want, it is no BOB or ME.

I disagree with you on this - off the shelf systems with Windows 8 are already not selling - people just dont like the in your face look.

Upgrades always have problems - drives, device support etc.

I spoke to a best buy employee at the customer service department when my friends wife brought back her windows 8 laptop - the rep told me 60% of laptop/desktop sales are coming back to that one store.

XP, ME, Vista and win 7 were similar and OEM systems did not have the type of issues that prevented sales.

Expect the OEM's - especially Dell to embrace something else - Linux, Chrome - anything but windows 8. This decision will be SALES driven - not reviews or emotions
--

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to dellsweig
Since Dell still sells plenty of Optiplex/Latitude/Precision systems with 7, I would imagine that if they see an issue with pushing Windows 8 on their "retail" PCs, they will start pushing at least some Windows 7-based Inspirons/Dimension/XPS/whatever.

Windows 8 would have to kill your pets and set your pants on fire for Dell to even consider pushing a non-windows OS on their retail platform.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
it just keeps getting better and better

»bgr.com/2012/11/21/windows-8-cri···-expert/
--

aa2k

join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD
reply to dellsweig
I walked by Microcenter, they usually have lots of computers on display, 'none' of them have Windows 8 installed, just Win 7.. I remember when Win7 came out they had it on display the same day it was out...
Expand your moderator at work

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to dellsweig

Re: [WIN8] more 'great' press for Win8

said by dellsweig:

Where the F is Bollimer??

Who's Bollimer?
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
Campbell Hall, NY
said by MSeng:

said by dellsweig:

Where the F is Bollimer??

Who's Bollimer?

so I cant speel

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Ballmer
--

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to dellsweig
Have you noticed the comments on every single "Windows 8 sucks" articles?...

I can't believe the amount of blind hate and media harping about this over and over and over.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to dellsweig
I went from windows 98se to vista on my old A7N8X and had no problems...

funny how windows 8 is being so picky

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24

1 edit
reply to RazzyW8
I can see where he's coming from.
Expand your moderator at work

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to RazzyW8

Re: [WIN8] more 'great' press for Win8

It's funny because 8 is the first Windows OS I've actually liked from the start since 2000.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to dellsweig
It's the same old story. People tend to post/complain when they're having problems (regardless of the cause), but all the people who aren't just don't say anything. They just go about their business.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to sivran
said by sivran:

It's funny because 8 is the first Windows OS I've actually liked from the start since 2000.

8 is the first I've disliked, period.

Windows NT was a solid workstation OS, Windows 98 seemed to be a more media-centric upgrade from Windows NT/95, Windows ME got ACPI right (even though most people seemed to know how to configure their BIOS for it), Windows 2000 was the right, stable fit for me after Windows Me, Windows XP seemed to tie together the best of all worlds, Windows Vista finally made x64 mainstream and was ridiculously secure out of the box (more than w7) and Windows 7 was a polished version of Vista that the masses accepted.

I felt every Windows OS was an evolution, with some innovations, over the previous Windows OS whereas this one, I feel it's... just a clusterfuck.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
Same. I liked Vista (though I admit that it SUCKS when used with borderline hardware) and I never really had any problems with ME.

And yet, I cannot warm up to W8. I've been using it since August but... nothing. No sparks.

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada
reply to dellsweig
Read a lot. Did a lot of looking at my PC to see if it could handle it.

I found that buying a computer when I did, it could handle it. So that made me

I do like the live tiles feature. Never cared much for MSN weather. The bing weather tile works great. The news (CTV, Tom's Hardware) work great.

If this isn't going to be popular in 3 years, 2 1/2 by my calculation, then I'll just install something else. Like Linux.

So far for me, it works.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to dellsweig
yawn!

Willies13
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Montpelier, OH
reply to sivran
said by sivran:

ME to . I love it . Faster and more secure .. BUT , BUT ,I set mine up like Windows 7 . Their mistake is the crappy UI .

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to dellsweig
Three things come to mind when reading the article linked in the OP.

Microsoft Upgrade Advisor - I don't recall the writer mentioning its use, which could have (maybe) forewarned him of serious or critical problems,.....before the upgrade.

OEM recovery disc set - such systems often come with a means of recovery to a factory default state.

Backup - this is self explanatory.

And IMO the title "Windows 8 Killed My PC" seems overly dramatic, somewhat inaccurate and sensationalistic. Especially so when the author seemed to make no mention of precautionary measures taken.

I also find it odd that the problem was presumably, according to Microsoft, tracked down to an Intel controller driver (effecting ~200,000 users) but in the summation at the end he stated "What's alarming is that Microsoft seems to be blaming others for these issues instead of taking responsibility for them and proposing meaningful solutions.".

So it's a little unclear to me if the author believed or didn't believe the cited cause of his reported issue. I'm also a little unclear on Microsoft's responsibilities if this is accurate since providing drivers for other hardware manufactures could prove difficult without their help.