jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to Lino

Re: [Business] Main electric being changed to underground condui

I know several tried and true ways of getting a pull rope down through a pipe, the 64-dollar question is: will the utility do it?
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

battleop

join:2005-09-28

From experience time and time again Comcast will probably do it with a little bitching. AT&T will cite some union rule and walk away.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

It isn't a union rule that AT&T will cite, it is company policy.

battleop

It's what ever it takes to get out of doing the job at hand... I had one 3 weeks ago that refused to pull fiber through a 40' conduit because it didn't have mule tape in the conduit. I've also had them refuse a pull because a ground was not in place yet. Our LATA has some (not all) techs that do what it takes to get out of work.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Just for your information, when the initial site visit is made with engineering and construction folks with the people that ordered the service, the customer is told that the pull string must be in place for the work to be completed.

You LATA has some technicians that are flirting with their jobs, or at least discipline. Should a supervisor catch them not following policy, they could get into trouble.

As for the ground, again that is covered on the initial (or should be) site visit. At least it was when I was the fiber equipment installation foreman. No ground, no installation.

battleop

I've done a few dozen metro E circuits this year and maybe 3 of them have been grounded when a ground was provided. Half the time the BIC Engineer will visit the site and completely ignore the notes that say to contact me or my office prior to the visit so we rarely get to meet with the BIC.
--