share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Rob

Re: Freedom vs. Security

The suggested law does not require warrants in many cases. But it still requires a subpoena in all cases. Getting a subpoena is less rigorous to obtain than a warrant, but it still needs an OK from the investigating department, leaving a paper trail. It is just much easier to get.

»news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57552···arrants/

Grants warrantless access to Americans' electronic correspondence to over 22 federal agencies. Only a subpoena is required, not a search warrant signed by a judge based on probable cause.

I really don't have a problem with getting info for FBI, Homeland Security, etc to investigate. But for the life of me I can't see any reason to include all these other Federal agencies in the law.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by FFH5:

But for the life of me I can't see any reason to include all these other Federal agencies in the law.

That is, aside from everything else, the biggest issue. When you start involving multiple agencies, you're destined to run into abuse.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us