uniqs
share rss forum feed

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1
reply to pandora

Re: [Business] Main electric being changed to underground condui

From the point of view of an AT&T (now retired) foreman, if there is customer owned conduit, the customer must also provide a pull string/rope for use in pulling the new drop, or cable. Essentially, if there was no pull rope, then no installation.

The normal installation technician does not have the equipment (vacuum, or air compressor to install a pull string/rope.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
I know what you are saying as I had 37 years with Bell/AT&T both craft and management, but I think it depends on the situation and location.
In craft I always carried 2 100 foot fish tapes. When in management I required all techs to do the same. We were being paid by the hour so it didn't really matter we were doing, plus it was good PR.
A 85 foot run is nothing unless you get some knuckle head electrician that puts in 90s instead of sweeps.

Austinloop

Austin, TX
I would agree with the use of fish tapes when the technician is doing time and materials work, however, a new install is not a time and materials job.

With the current environment of "numbers", no installer is going to make his numbers using fish tapes, etc. In all likelihood, the install will be jeopardied to the customer, and the installer will move on to the next job.

I am not saying this is right, that is just the way it is today.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
I agree. Things have changed since retiring in 2003.

Austinloop

Austin, TX
You beat me out the door by 4 years. I left in June 2007.

As one of my previous bosses said, you left at the right time. I still keep in touch with a couple of managers and a couple of my techs who are still working and they agreed that I am not missing anything.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

A 85 foot run is nothing unless you get some knuckle head electrician that puts in 90s instead of sweeps.

So true, also the idiot who pours a ton of concrete on the conduit and bends/pinches it flat.