share rss forum feed

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

[WIN7] Laptop playing "USB unplug" sound when moved/lid closed.

Win 7 64

Lately, at times when I close the lid of my laptop, it plays the two-toned "USB device unplugged" tones. It doesn't happen every time I close the lid. Sometimes after I close the lid and start moving the laptop, such as carrying it from one place to another, it makes the sound. It does not make the opposite "USB plugged in new device" sound.

It stops doing this when I'm just sitting using the computer. It has something to do with movement. I don't have any USB devices plugged in...usually just a power cord. The sound is not caused by plugging in or unplugging the power.
--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: [WIN7] Laptop playing "USB unplug" sound when move

Perhaps that sound (USB Unplug Sound) is also assigned to some other Windows function that is activated when you close the lid such as Hibernate and/or Sleep.

Go into Sounds in Control Panel and see what sounds are assigned to various Windows functions. Hopefully you will also find that sound assigned to functions other than USB Device Unplugged.

Just curious but are you using any Windows themes?

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

1 edit
Thanks.

The sound (Windows Hardware Removal) only plays after the lid is closed and only when I squeeze the lid to more than closed, such as when picking it up from the front edge.

If the power is unplugged, Power Settings then tell it to Sleep. I can make it make the sound if I squeeze the lid in the center of the top of the screen edge before it sleeps. If the power is plugged in, it will not sleep upon closing lid and will make the sound with every squeeze.

Checking Sounds, there is only one event associated with that WHR Sound, and it's the event "Device Disconnect." I didn't find the WHR sound associated with any other event.

If I select a different Windows 7 Theme, that uses a different sound Scheme, then I get a different sound when I do the squeeze required to lift up the laptop. The Theme I'm using uses the Windows Default sound Scheme.

When the speakers are muted, there's no sound, of course.

1) This just started in the past few days.
2) I had changed my Windows Theme recently...but further testing shows that changing to any Theme with a different sound Scheme just changes the sound associated with the squeeze or lifting of the laptop.
3) So it seems that lifting or squeezing in that spot is causing a Device Disconnect. I just tested... the device is the built-in camera. If I even gently squeeze the top of the screen at the camera...with the lid open, it makes the sound... so pressure near the camera is causing the camera to tell Windows that it's been disconnected. If I squeeze the top edge of the lid/screen up to a few inches to the left or right of the camera, it makes the sound. If I squeeze further away from the camera, it does not.

--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by koam:

3) So it seems that lifting or squeezing in that spot is causing a Device Disconnect. I just tested... the device is the built-in camera. If I even gently squeeze the top of the screen at the camera...with the lid open, it makes the sound... so pressure near the camera is causing the camera to tell Windows that it's been disconnected. If I squeeze the top edge of the lid/screen up to a few inches to the left or right of the camera, it makes the sound. If I squeeze further away from the camera, it does not.

Sounds like you have it figured out. For some reason the camera disconnects when you squeeze that area. Either there is a loose connection or the design of that area is weak and allowing this to happen.