how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

David85

join:2010-09-21
Louisville, KY

[CATV] hd dta

I asked insight on facebook if they were coming out soon and they said they have no plans to.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY

That would require them to invest into the company. Now that TWC owns them I don't see it happening.

Although since you're in Louisville you should get the entire classic lineup over ClearQAM (i.e. boxless), unless they've recently changed something. Aren't most of those channels HD (720P/1080P)?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by jpatton1979:

That would require them to invest into the company. Now that TWC owns them I don't see it happening.

Although since you're in Louisville you should get the entire classic lineup over ClearQAM (i.e. boxless), unless they've recently changed something. Aren't most of those channels HD (720P/1080P)?

really? TWC is now deploying Cisco HD DTA's as we speak in areas that they are reclaiming analogs so that they can make room to take digital simulcast off of SDV and to enable 8 channel downstream bonding. Oh and some of the HD channels are on the DTA's including the locals and maybe ESPN or TNT depending on the market.

jpatton1979

Lexington, KY

Insight doesn't use SDV (at least in Lexington they don't) and we've been all digital for quite some time now. So what they're doing in those areas doesn't really apply here. On my SB6121 all 4 downstream channels are bonded as well as 3 upstream channels, and I only have 10/1 service. The biggest benefit of having more than 4 downstream bonded channels is speeds over ~120Mbits (If I recall correctly the max speed is around 34Mbits per channel), and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Louisville, where the OP is located, offers the entire "Classic" lineup over ClearQAM. So the OP shouldn't need a DTA at all, provided he has a newer TV with a built-in digital tuner (ATSC, ClearQAM, etc). Only a few channels are available via ClearQAM here in Lexington (mostly broadcast, shopping, Discovery, etc) so I can't list every channel that is HD via ClearQAM.

David85

Louisville, KY

I know you can get those channels boxless but you don't get espn and other classic channels in hd. Comcast is getting the hd dta's later this year and not insight/time warner?

jpatton1979

Lexington, KY

You can always get an HD receiver, but you have to pay for it. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's all we currently have.

rjbasye

join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Time Warner Cable

Louisville is lucky not to be required to have a mini box. Here in Northern KY, we don't have that boxless option at all except for clear QAM local channels only. I bet when we get full intergration into TWC QAM will disappear all together. Maybe when thar happens they will have those HD DTAs

Han Solo

@insightbb.com
reply to David85

The entire basic lineup being on Clear QAM makes Louisville have one of the best cable systems in the entire country.

It will be a huge shame if that goes away.

ClearQAM should have been the standard for cableTV, it much more closely gives us the flexibility we had with analog to choose our own receivers, our own DVRs etc.

The only reason the cable industry don't want to support clearQAM is so they can further screw the customer and lock them in.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to jpatton1979

So that would involve TWC investing in TWC, as that's what would happen. You do realize that Insight is gone in terms of a management structure, and TWC is running the show. All that's left is the Insight "brand" which will disappear when TWC figures out how to tie everything into their systems.

jpatton1979

Lexington, KY

Compared to some (if not most) areas of TWC (I used to live in one), Insight is already a few steps ahead. I don't see them enhancing former Insight systems when there's so much to do for their existing customer-base.

I'm sure we'll get HD DTAs eventually, but I won't be holding breath until we do.

David85

Louisville, KY
reply to jpatton1979

I have an hdtv with an antenna and 11.3 is whas doppler radar now. It's been there since last wednesday. Insight probably will not add it to the boxless lineup.

David85

Louisville, KY
reply to David85

In the insight bill here in Louisville there is service rates paper in bill. It has hd digital adapter dta $0.99 a month.

jpatton1979

Lexington, KY

My bill just says "Mini Box - $0.75". If you're getting billed for a HD DTA @ $0.99 then what you have *should* be a HD DTA. If not I would call Insight and request you get a HD DTA or the rate gets reduced to $0.75.

David85

Louisville, KY

1 edit

It has mini box only on bill. The hd dta and a list of other stuff prices is on a separate paper that was in the bill.

David85

Louisville, KY
reply to jpatton1979

Email response from insight. Our Rate Cards are printed annually to reflect rates and products projected for the entire year. This year’s rates were published in December 2012 reflecting the rates for 2013. The HD DTA is currently not available for Louisville or Lexington, however, please check back with us throughout the year for availability.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks so much,

Jason K