uniqs
share rss forum feed

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

AVR decoding features!

Hey, this is for the A/V gearheads out there!

Im in the process of shopping for a receiver and decided to get a Denon, possibly the AVR-1613.

Now looking at last years model and lower end one, the 1312, there seems to be a difference in audio decoding options. Now i'm not sure if it's just older tech no longer used in newer models or the model is just lacking the decoding capability that was available in previous, lower end model.

the 1613 is capable of decoding the following:

Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital+
dts-HD Master Audio and High Resolution
dts Neo:6 Stereo-to-Surround Cinema and Music Mode

and the 1312 is capable of the following:

Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital+
Dolby Digital Surround EX
dts-HD Master Audio and High Resolution
dts ES Discrete 6.1
dts ES Matrix 6.1
dts Neo:6 Stereo-to-Surround Cinema and Music Mode

Can someone shed some light on this? Is it just older tech i won't be missing and not that big of a deal?

Thanks!

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

My personal thought and only a guess: All the extra options listed on the older model are simply matrix decoding options and not codecs directly (they can be run on any incoming codec or even 2 channel analog inputs). Probably a case of the site you looked at for the 1312 tried to fluff up their listing with useless entries. The 1613 should have all the matrix decoding options you 'need' (My personal opinion is unless you have a very specific reason to not be feeding multichannel audio to the receiver, matrix decoding isn't even in the equation)
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to OverrRyde

6.1 decoding isn't of much use on a 5.1 AVR.