uniqs

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to Galvanic

Premium Member

to Galvanic

Re: Is this ok or will it catch on fire?

said by Galvanic :

said by mityfowl:

You're over thinking this little issue.

This isn't rocket science

Maybe people want to know why and how?

Some people (as in this case and topic title) think the reaction will cause a fire (never heard this one before).

Nothing over done. Some people want to know what and why, some people don't want to know anything and just do anything. Each to their own.

No different than anyone adding a sacrificial anode to a structure or even a car or boat. Same type reaction going on. Or, as another example, using non-zinc coated screws (hot dip galvanized) on a treated fence.

...In a wet environment dissimilar metals create a small electrical current that triggers a chemical reaction resulting in galvanic corrosion.

*shrug*

Rocket science to some, common sense to others.

see

Galvanic
@videotron.ca

Galvanic to SuperNet

Anon

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

All I am trying to do is stop the 2 metals from
Touching. I heard 2 metals touching is bad.

So what I did was good or bad?

Well you should make sure that whatever you are using (think you are using foam if I understood right) doesn't soak water. It should repel water.

So foam should be good.

If what you use soaks in water then you accomplished nothing. Things to avoid for example: Clothe, an old rag, etc.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

So just to confirm, the pipe insulation is ok to use between hot water pipe and the dryer vent pipe/tube?

I am just worried it will catch on fire.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by SuperNet:

So just to confirm, the pipe insulation is ok to use between hot water pipe and the dryer vent pipe/tube?

I am just worried it will catch on fire.

Yes, you are good to go with that setup.