spc
Search similar:

uniqs
spookypuff66
join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Installing OS in NUC

The BY version has several external connectors, including an HDMI output, a trio of USB 2.0 ports, and a Thunderbolt plug that doubles as a DisplayPort output. Intel will also be selling the DC3217IYE, which omits the Thunderbolt port in favor of a second HDMI output and a GigE port.
Beyond the embedded CPU, the NUC is a bare-bones system. You'll to have to supply the Wi-Fi adapter, storage, and memory—and install 'em into this tiny little box.

I have read about 10 reviews and not a one explains now one would install Windows 8? Intel states that the NUC will be compatible with Windows 8.
Will one have to buy it pre installed on the SSD card?

»techreport.com/review/23 ··· omputing
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Seems to me that it wouldn't be difficult to install from a USB flash drive, USB optical drive or USB external hard drive.

It's a cool concept, but I think their $300-320 price is a bit steep considering that it doesn't even come with a display or hard drive. I'm not even sure if it includes RAM, keyboard or mouse at that price. I wonder if it includes an OS?
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

This demo unit was running the Thunderbolt version of the board and was hooked up to an external Thunderbolt storage unit with a Seagate 2.5" hard drive in it. I don't like this hard drive solution. »www.legitreviews.com/art ··· /2033/2/

>> I wonder if it includes an OS?
At least 2 reviewers said OS would have to be provided by the punter. Perhaps some vendor will pre-load the OS onto a SSD and provide the whole kit.

The NUC would be a great replacement for the tower desktop PC I have hardwired to the panel TV on the wall.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

For storage, the cleanest solution would be using a mini PCIe/mSATA SSD (like this), and installing the OS via a USB device, like HarryH3 See Profile mentioned. I've had success using Microsoft's Windows 7 USB download tool to put the install on a 4 GB or larger flash drive. It should work with Windows 8 as well.
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Thanks. My guess is that someone will do as you suggested and flog the loaded SSD on the net.
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno to spookypuff66

to spookypuff66
All you need is a 4GB USB flash drive and the Windows 8 installation disk. You can make the flash drive bootable via diskpart and from there you just copy the files from the Windows 8 DVD onto the flash drive to make a Windows 8 flash install drive. After you are done, format the flash drive and use it for whatever you were using it before.
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Got it, thanks. Looking forward to the exercise.
spookypuff66

2 edits

spookypuff66 to Chrno

to Chrno
Hi, I would like to install the OS via a down loadable ISO file. I can't find where to start the download on the Microsoft site. The only download that I can find is for upgrading to the new from the old OS. Microsoft describes step by step how to install the OS with a ISO and a flash drive and then install onto a virgin computer's SSD.
I had a chat with Microsoft. The chatter said "no way".

Note: "Windows 8 is also sold as a downloadable ISO file"
»pcsupport.about.com/od/w ··· -usb.htm

I guess my main question is where on the Microsoft site can I find where to initiate a virgin download. Thanks
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno

Well, right now I know of two ways you can obtain a Windows 8 ISO:
1. Get it from the physical installation media and
2. Download it from Microsoft

There are also two ways that I know of from which you can use to obtain the ISO:
1. Buy it online from Microsoft and you will be provided a link to download the ISO.
2. Buying the upgrade from Microsoft if you already have a version of Windows that's fits into the Upgrade License.

Since you weren't provided a link for the download, I am guessing you haven't purchased a license?
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

I can;t find a place where I can purchase a new license.
All purchases are for the upgrade.
Thanks. I will just give it up for now.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Try the info off this site showing how it is done.

»www.intowindows.com/down ··· uct-key/
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

spookypuff66

Again, I give up. I have created an account with Microsoft but the only download I can find for Windows 8 is an upgrade version. I need an OS for a computer sans OS. Thanks again for trying to help me. I'll watch the below site to see how it goes.

»www.amazon.com/review/RQ ··· sHelpful

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

It seems you have to pay for the key first - have you done that much? Upgrade or not?
spookypuff66
Silverthorne, CO

1 edit

spookypuff66

No. Microsoft told me they don't download complete versions of 8, just upgrade versions. I'm not going to pay for an upgrade which I may not be able to use in the NUC. Intel has stated that they will be working with their partners to bring out various SKUs. I will wait.

Note: Check out all the reviews of the NUC. I haven't found one that addresses the OS.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· &bih=290

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for the information, sounds like the link maybe incorrect then for now.

I gather it will come out in due course....