join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to David85

to David85

Re: [CATV] hd dta

That would require them to invest into the company. Now that TWC owns them I don't see it happening.

Although since you're in Louisville you should get the entire classic lineup over ClearQAM (i.e. boxless), unless they've recently changed something. Aren't most of those channels HD (720P/1080P)?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by jpatton1979:

That would require them to invest into the company. Now that TWC owns them I don't see it happening.

Although since you're in Louisville you should get the entire classic lineup over ClearQAM (i.e. boxless), unless they've recently changed something. Aren't most of those channels HD (720P/1080P)?

really? TWC is now deploying Cisco HD DTA's as we speak in areas that they are reclaiming analogs so that they can make room to take digital simulcast off of SDV and to enable 8 channel downstream bonding. Oh and some of the HD channels are on the DTA's including the locals and maybe ESPN or TNT depending on the market.
jpatton1979
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC

jpatton1979

Insight doesn't use SDV (at least in Lexington they don't) and we've been all digital for quite some time now. So what they're doing in those areas doesn't really apply here. On my SB6121 all 4 downstream channels are bonded as well as 3 upstream channels, and I only have 10/1 service. The biggest benefit of having more than 4 downstream bonded channels is speeds over ~120Mbits (If I recall correctly the max speed is around 34Mbits per channel), and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Louisville, where the OP is located, offers the entire "Classic" lineup over ClearQAM. So the OP shouldn't need a DTA at all, provided he has a newer TV with a built-in digital tuner (ATSC, ClearQAM, etc). Only a few channels are available via ClearQAM here in Lexington (mostly broadcast, shopping, Discovery, etc) so I can't list every channel that is HD via ClearQAM.
David85
join:2010-09-21
Louisville, KY

David85

I know you can get those channels boxless but you don't get espn and other classic channels in hd. Comcast is getting the hd dta's later this year and not insight/time warner?
jpatton1979
Louisville, KY

jpatton1979

You can always get an HD receiver, but you have to pay for it. I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's all we currently have.
rjbasye
join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
Netgear R7000
Linksys PAP2

rjbasye

Louisville is lucky not to be required to have a mini box. Here in Northern KY, we don't have that boxless option at all except for clear QAM local channels only. I bet when we get full intergration into TWC QAM will disappear all together. Maybe when thar happens they will have those HD DTAs

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to jpatton1979

to jpatton1979
So that would involve TWC investing in TWC, as that's what would happen. You do realize that Insight is gone in terms of a management structure, and TWC is running the show. All that's left is the Insight "brand" which will disappear when TWC figures out how to tie everything into their systems.
jpatton1979
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC

jpatton1979

Compared to some (if not most) areas of TWC (I used to live in one), Insight is already a few steps ahead. I don't see them enhancing former Insight systems when there's so much to do for their existing customer-base.

I'm sure we'll get HD DTAs eventually, but I won't be holding breath until we do.
David85
join:2010-09-21
Louisville, KY

David85 to jpatton1979

to jpatton1979
I have an hdtv with an antenna and 11.3 is whas doppler radar now. It's been there since last wednesday. Insight probably will not add it to the boxless lineup.