« funny
This is a sub-selection from Obligatory rant from Tennessee

OhReally
@141.191.36.x

OhReally to N3OGH

Anon

to N3OGH

Re: Obligatory rant from Tennessee

It's easy to play holier-than-thou, isn't it?

Two completely different animals?

So, are you saying that copyright infringement on the internet is a big no-no, but infringement in the real world is okay? You do realize that the average person unknowingly violates copyright infringement dozens of times per day. Some of it is excused by fair use (fair use only means that the infringement is not actionable, but it is still considered infringement), but most of it is not.

Ever sing a song, whistle or hum while walking down the street? Infringement!

Ever sing Happy Birthday at a party? Infringement!

Use a copier? Share a recipe? Snap a photo of someone next to a statue? Infringement! Infringement! Infringement!

It is incredibly hard to avoid infringing activities, but apparently it is incredibly easy to excuse your own as harmless while condemning everyone else as immoral.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

1 recommendation

N3OGH

Premium Member

Oh please, spare me the self righteous bullshit. People singing happy birthday and and taking pictures in front of statues have no clue. Even if they did, it's a totally different animal and you clearly know it.

If I travel & take a picture in front of a statue with a friend, just how do I compensate the copyright holder? Where do I pay for participating in a happy birthday singalong?

If I install file sharing software on my computer in order to download popular music or a movie that's only in theaters then I clearly know what I'm doing.

Making every effort to consume content from what I believe to be authorized providers whom I am paying proper compensation isn't self righteous. It's being a law abiding citizen.

Go on being a thief (or an advocate for the same). If it makes you feel good to call me self righteous, so be it. It doesn't make what you are doing, or what you advocate right.....

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

LOL I almost wet my pants with the Happy Birthday example. Yea buddy, thats the same as illegally downloading a movie while its still in theaters.

These thieves are so entertaining, I probably wouldnt come to this website if they didnt flock here.

OhReally
@141.191.36.x

OhReally to N3OGH

Anon

to N3OGH
Please point out to me where I admitted to any thievery or infringement or advocated the same. You can't, because I didn't.

I, however, can easily point out your own statement:

I can honestly say I've never violated copyright.
- N3OGH

There's nothing honest about that. It is a bold claim that cannot possibly be true. I was merely pointing out that it is impossible to be entirely guilt-free when it comes to modern copyright law. And claiming to be guilt-free while preaching to everyone else is incredibly hypocritical.

As so many have pointed out, infringement is infringement -- no matter how big or small. Whether committed against the rich or poor, corporations or individuals, online or offline, intentionally or unintentionally. The law still considers it all infringement and therefore wrong. And fair use only counts once you have proven it in a court of law.

It's pretty clear that the one being self-righteous is you.

Have a nice day!

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 edit

ITALIAN926

quote:
I can honestly say I've never violated copyright.
- N3OGH
.... and being so damn intelligent, you should be able to conclude that he's referring to uploading/downloading music/movies/software on the internet. He even explains himself fully following that quote anyway.

But thanx for explaining how everyone breaks copyright every single day, in an attempt to justify people who maliciously infringe on copyrighted material via the 'net.

There is no justification, its against the law. The end.

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook to N3OGH

to N3OGH
Warner/Chappell Music currently collects royalties for the Commercial use of "Happy Birthday", private performances of the song do not require compensation.
« funny
This is a sub-selection from Obligatory rant from Tennessee