Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
join:2002-11-29
Woodside, NY
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

[Network] Wifi keeps toggling on Macbook Pro 15"

My Macbook Pro 15", MacBookPro8,2 series, keeps toggling the wifi connection, it's searching for networks, then connected, then searching, then connected. Does this have something to do with the wifi card on the laptop, or on the router's connection.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

Re: [Network] Wifi keeps toggling on Macbook Pro 15"

Wifi problems could be due to an out of date router. Check to see if there is a firmware update for yours.

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
Woodside, NY

1 edit

It's the WRT54G Linksys router with Firmware Version: v8.00.8

v8.00.8 build 001, Oct. 5, 2009

I checked Linksys' site and it doesn't seem that there is an upgrade for this.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

that was my best shot. time to bring in level 2 tech support...

(what about router location? are the walls wood or metal? obstructions?)

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to Maggs

I had an issue like this on my first MBP back in 2009; turns out it was a faulty logic board and was replaced under warranty.

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
Woodside, NY

Nice, I'll check that out.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA
reply to Maggs

does it do the same on other wireless networks?

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
Woodside, NY
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

I went to the Apple store in Grand Central and it didn't do the same thing, but was sluggish to pull up pages considering all of Grand Central is on Apples' wireless network.

I called telephone support and got a representative in Texas that was absolutely clueless and was essentially reading off a script.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX
reply to Maggs

do you have a wifi scanner that can tell you if your WIFI LAN is on a good channel for your area?

BuckarooB
Beware Lectroids from PlanetX
Premium
join:2001-10-27
Cloverdale, VA
Reviews:
·Ntelos
reply to Maggs

maybe your wireless network is getting stomped on by someone/something? you could try changing wifi channels... or get an N router from this decade...

I retired all my B/G equipment except for one only because of an older HP wifi printer and my wife's iPhone4s...
--
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!!"

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
Woodside, NY

My WRT54G is only about 4 years old, that's not too old. The Macbook Pro can't handle N speeds, and most of my equipment connected to it is G anyway, so there's no point.
--
Yes, ladies I am single.

not

@comcast.net

Does this happen everywhere or just at home or at the office? If it's localized to a certain area or location, check what WIFI profiles you have configured on your system. Remember that WIFI is name dependent, which means that one WIFI network named Linksys is the same as another one named Linksys. It may be possible that if you have one of these basic profiles configured/saved in your profile list from another location you were at, your system is accidentally hopping on one close to you (maybe a neighbors) named exactly the same. Then it disconnects and connects to yours, etc. The cycle will continue depending on different variables. Bottom line, check your profile list and delete all basically named ones you don't use at the moment. You can also try deleting your own WIFI profile and just reconnect it. Then power cycle your router as well.

Another thing is, unless ALL your WIFI devices are having this same connection issue with your specific router, then the problem is localized to your laptop.... be it a hardware issue with it or the profile issue I explained above.