uniqs
share rss forum feed

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

Slow speeds every night

Probably due to Frontier over selling the area but here we go in hopes of getting my speeds up.
Every night speeds during peak times, download slows down
DSLAM remote is less than a mile as I drove to it.
I'm paying for Broadband Max and was told can't get anything higher in my area.
Line test is perfect, no Latency issues just the speed complaints during high usage times.
My contract is up in January of 2013 and was thinking of going Comcast but don't want to run into the same type of speed problems during peak usage times.

included link to my test history if someone could take a look
»/testhistory/1650601/c2983

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 6944 448
Margin (dB) 18.2 13.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 27.5 12.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.9 12.6
FEC Errors 7563 239
HEC Errors 4183 292
CRC Errors 2067 0

gonewthedsm

join:2009-12-07
Bruceton Mills, WV

It could be worse. I would sell both of my nuts to get what you have. I called and Frontier told me that I should be getting 6.9/740, that is what they show me set at. But I am set at 2624/640 and this is what I get.

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Spoke with technical service
I told them that this has been an ongoing issue for months.
Ive replaced the modem, my line quality tests are fine, I'm less than a mile from the DSLAM and speeds only go down during peak hours.
They put me on hold and told me they were aware of the congestion problem in my area and they are addind bandwith to the location by the end of December.
Hopefully they are not pulling my leg.
Contracts up and if speeds dont get better, Im going over to Cable

bovineyard

join:2004-09-17
Lawton, MI

2 edits
Where are you located? I am in Lawton, Michigan, and I am having the same issue. I have called tech support several times. First call was 3 weeks ago, and they said they were aware of the issue, and it should be fixed within a week, but it still slows way down at night. I have the 7mb down, 768k up package, and it runs great during the day, but in the evening, download slows to less than 1Mb at times.

I also have another line with DSL Extreme (7000/768) on the Frontier backbone that I use for my business, and that line does not slow down at night. So some of their circuits are overloaded at night when everyone must be watching Netflix/YouTube.

pittpete1

Im located in Dutchess County, NY
I think the business DSL is connected to different equipment.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
I was informed that they will have all the CO's connected to the new fiber ring (in WV) by the end of December that there is equipment at some of the CO's that still needing swapped out in order to be able to go onto that new fiber ring.

pittpete1

Thanks, I'm in NY so maybe its something happening throughout Frontiers footprint.
I hope so because my contract is up and these slow speeds are ridiculous.

bonka

@frontiernet.net
Every single night during prime time I've been having horrible internet as well. Latency is all over the place in games, getting disconnected, etc. The SNR and Atten are fine and normal. It's apparently packet loss. When I run a program to continually ping google I run a steady 10% loss and also see 10%+ packet loss while on a teamspeak server. It's bad enough I only have access to 4mbit/768kbit but then not even being able to do what I'd like during the evening is too much. I'll be contacting Frontier and complaining.

I'm in Pennsylvania, so I'm fed from Rochester.

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Ive emailed the NorthEast Regional Managers with no response on the matter as of tonight.
Ive been keeping a record of the speed decreases for the past several days.
The speed degregation starts after 7:00 P.M. every night
It's as if they are flipping a switch to automatically limit my connection.
Trying to stream Netflix or Download from XBOX 360 or DirectTV on demand is a joke.
$32.99 a month plus the modem fee is highway robbery.
They have till Jan. 11th to get it straight or they are gone.
I hate to leave because I have no latency issues since I complained a few years back while losing packets like crazy.
It took them awhile to fix that but they did.
2012 and we have to deal with this.
EDIT:I found my old latency issue thread
»Frontier DSL in NY Latency and packet loss issues

gozer
Premium
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

1 edit
You say it's just a slow down but your ping is fine. How have you tested your latency?
I just realized if you are basing your latency and loss on the line test or any line test from outside. some time ago Frontier did something to make any kind of ping or loss from an incoming test was changed so that it will not show the true status of data through the hop or device you are pinging. If you test each hop from your box going out you will see what I mean. Do a tracert to get the IP's and trust me test your first hop and you will see. Allso forget pings to most known big sites like google or yahoo I have allso found that Frontier's network favors them in out going pings too just stic to hops close to you try frontier.com this way you know you are on thier home network and you get real results as to where the trouble is.

Riem

@frontiernet.net
I live in west central Illinois, and I get the exact same problem every night starting at just around the same time.

jmeadows

@50.121.197.x
reply to pittpete1
I am kinda experiencing the same things. I have the bonded DSL package. Promises 12 Megs. I am downloading around 60k..... (has taken me 45 mins so far to download a 35 MB update) Plus my DSL is going up and down constantly. I called Frontier 3 weeks ago, they said it was on their end. They finally contacted me today only to tell me that it was because they oversold their bandwidth and that I am just going to have to wait it out till they have a fix. I know this is the trouble with my slow speed, but I really don't think its whats causing my DSL to go up and down constantly. I just think they really don't give a crap about fixing the DSL.

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Heres what I got back from Frontier management
quote:
First, I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I was on vacation, then wanted to work with
The Help Desk and our engineering department on your congestion issue. I spoke with the director
Of the Help Desk and apparently the Kristy you spoke with last week - looked at the engineering
Reports and misread them, giving you information that was not accurate.
You work out of our Greenhaven remote which we just upgraded to 6M this year. I spoke with
Our engineering department and at this time there are no plans to upgrade this unit beyond the
6M capacity until perhaps late 2013. I realize this is not what you want to hear - and since it
Appears you use a number of devices, especially in the evening - we can offer you a second line
And split the devices for about $15 per month.
If you feel you need a tech out to check your line - I will also be happy to set something up with
You. Please feel free to call me at 876-3535 anytime today or email me.
Sincerely,
Gail Griffin Hulle
Heres how I responded
quote:
Gail,
I really appreciate the response. Hope you had a great vacation.
I'm certainly not looking for a consistent 6mb, but my speed degrades every night at the same time.
Weeknights, after 7:30 P.M. or so it's like a switch is flipped.
My speed goes from in the 5/6 range to the 1/1.5 range.
After midnight or so, and during the daytime, speeds are back up.
It doesn't matter if I have 1 device connected or 3.
Getting a second DSL connection isn't an option because I'd have 2 DSL connections that are getting low speeds at night.
I've tested this with only 1 wired PC connected and I've been keeping a spread sheet on the speed drops.
It's consistent every night.
My line quality tests are excellent, no latency issues to speak of and I was sent a new modem.
I'm a little over a half mile from the Greenhaven Remote and my modem stats are fine I've been told.
If you think having a tech contact me to try and resolve this is a good idea than please have one call me.
My cell is xxxxxxxxxxx and my home is xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Perhaps the tech can transfer me to another port at the DSLAM?
When i was having latency issues a few years back, you guys were great in resolving the issue after a little prodding and me staying on top of the issue.
Please have a tech reach out to me.
Thank you Gail

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to pittpete1
Comcast in this area is advertising speeds up to 50MB download and Frontier just upgraded so they can push out a whopping 5-6mb during off peak hours.
All while advertising how DSL is better because you have a dedicated line and don't have to share bandwith like cable.
Talk about bending the truth a little?
Then they have the nerve to charge $39.99 a month for it.
How do companies like this survive?
Unless, by some miracle a tech can do something at the DSLAM, I'm being forced to go to Comcast cable broadband.
You have to Jan 11th of 2013 Frontier

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to gozer
Gozer, yes it was the line quality tests from this site.
Heres my tracert
Tracing route to frontier.com [66.133.172.205]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms dslrouter.netgear.com [192.168.25
2 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms 184-12-48-1.dr01.hpjc.ny.frontier
.48.1]
3 14 ms 13 ms 12 ms 173.84.233.229
4 17 ms 13 ms 13 ms ge--5-1-1---0.arr01.monr.ny.front
40.3.109]
5 21 ms 22 ms 45 ms xe--9-0-0---0.cor02.asbn.va.front
40.5.1]
6 98 ms 33 ms 34 ms ae3---0.cor01.roch.ny.frontiernet
7]
7 34 ms 33 ms 36 ms ge--0-1-0---0.car02.roch.ny.front
40.5.186]
8 35 ms 34 ms 33 ms 74.45.102.10
9 34 ms 33 ms 34 ms frontiertv.info [66.133.172.205]

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Latest update from FRONTIER for anyone following along
[quotePeter,

I had our Data Group look at the Greenhaven remote – and yes it is at 92% on the Adtran unit – that

Is what is causing the congestion at night. Eric will be calling you today and he will move you to another

Unit in that remote to see if that helps. I also forwarded this information on the our engineering group

To see what can be done. I appreciate your patience.

Thanks

Gail

]

Bonka

@frontiernet.net
I just got done with their chat tech support and got a ticket escalated for the packet loss during peak hours nightly. I'll have to wait until Monday to see if anything is going to happen, but I do know the local tech so I should be able to talk to him and see if he knows what the problem is, whether they need more bandwidth or the equipment is faulty. I honestly hope the equipment is faulty because they should fix that. I don't see them giving us more bandwidth to the area.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
I got the bonded 24 MB connection (rarely see 20+ MB). After a week it started disconnecting a lot losing the dns ip from frontier. The modem required a reboot to get service back and had to wait 5-10 minutes sometimes because it was not getting the dns ip from frontier yet. They came out a few times and blamed me and said everything was good to the dslam. I told them that I had it hooked up a few times to the test jack with the same results that it was indeedy on their end and that they needed to fix it. They made it a code blue since I had so much trouble, sending out two techs to look at it and they swapped out my modem which didn't help and finally decided that the dslam may need a software update. They said they can do that from their end and to give it an hour. After they done that my pings improved greatly from hundreds to below 100. It never disconnected me since and it has been 2-3 weeks now.

Me and a few of my friends even with the bonded connections still see the speed drops in the day but see speeds of 10-15 MB after midnight.

Bonka

join:2002-12-05
Tamaqua, PA
reply to Bonka
Local tech guy hooked up the 7550 modem and said my lines looked fine while I wasn't here. Had to give him a call to let him know what was actually going on and that I only have loss issues during prime time hours. Found out that about two weeks ago he swapped me to closer equipment that has about 10 people on it and can support 48 or something, so it should be nowhere near capacity locally, unless it's malfunctioning. The interesting part is he said that unit runs straight to Rochester (from PA) on fiber, unless I misunderstood him. So sounds to me like there's a bottle neck in or on the way to Rochester rather than locally, since these issues popped up (or worsened to the point I noticed them) right after he swapped me to that equipment.

I'm supposed to contact him assuming I get the same prime time loss again on the new modem and he'll try contacting the guys up in Rochester to see if anything can be done. Not sure anything will happen, but there's hope.

I will say, it's disappointing that when we were swapped to the closer equipment, my SNR and Atten numbers improved a lot but now I'm stuck with terrible service during the evening when everyone is watching Netflix.

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
reply to pittpete1
Just an update.
Tech moved me to the System 2 rack with less customers.
I've been monitoring my peak time speeds and they have been better.
Hopefully they stay this way, because my connection is always solid except for the previous speed issues.
I also heard Comcast is terrible in my area.

Bonka

Tamaqua, PA
reply to Bonka
The local tech contacted someone higher up the chain and I was told they're looking in to the issue since they've been getting reports from other areas experiencing loss as well. I'll have to give them some time since this won't be something they fix in a day, but hopefully within a week or two they get it figured out since it seems to be a widespread problem.

pittpete1

Keep on them and I'm sure they'll get it fixed.
Good Luck

MrBubbaHyde

join:2010-02-25
Shavertown, PA
reply to pittpete1
Here's mine as of 9:50................

See my other ranting posts today, if you want a laugh!

Bonka

Tamaqua, PA
Welcome to the club. Hopefully they actually get this fixed sooner rather than later. From what I was told I'm pretty sure someone in the company is aware it's an issue with at least one of their fiber lines being maxed out. The tech told me they need to talk to engineers to figure out a solution that I guess would just be re-routing people. All we can do is wait and see, but I'm getting tired of not even being able to play a game which uses almost no bandwidth because the packet loss is just absurd.

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Update...
After seeing some higher than 2.0 speeds since the transfer at the remote, my speeds were back in the crapper tonight...
Here's the email I sent with the Frontier manager I've been corresponding with over this issue.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------
Sorry Gail, I was a little premature in my previous email.
Checking speeds tonight starting at 9:30 P.M. using 2 different websites, proved speeds were again very low.
Sometimes less than a quarter of Frontiers advertised speed.
Perhaps the documentation I've attached can be sent up the line to provide evidence that there is indeed a problem.
Honestly it's only going to get worse and I'm being patient trying to help work with Frontier as well as help myself on this issue.
I've attached my Excel spread sheet documenting speed measurements throughout different times of the day.
I've also included screenshots of the most recent speed degregation tonight, during peak usage time(12-6-12)
On a side note, maybe someone can forward this to Ms.Wilderotter.
In an article I read from Stop the Cap! dated August 2011 Ms. Wilderotter said quoted in bold below......

Frontier Claims Its DSL Service is Better Than Cable Broadband
Frontier’s general business plan is to provide DSL service in rural areas where it faces little or no competition, and most of Frontier’s investment has been to upgrade Verizon’s landline network to sustain 1-3Mbps DSL service, for which it routinely charges the same (or more) for standalone broadband service that its cable competitors charge for much faster speeds.But Frontier Communications CEO Maggie Wilderotter says their DSL service is better than the cable competition.“A key differentiator between our network and cable competition is that you consistently get the speed you pay for,” Wilderotter told investors on a conference call. “There’s no sharing at the local level. High demand for bandwidth-intensive applications like video are putting pressure on all wired networks. To that end, we want to make sure that we have more than enough capacity to satisfy the expectations of our customers. We’re spending capital in all parts of the network with specific emphasis in the middle mile, which will enable us to consistently deliver a quality customer experience for our customers of today and tomorrow.”

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
pittpete1 - Hey consistent only means things will remain the same. It doesn't say they will improve. Also note that she is talking about the middle mile, nothing is mentioned about the tail segments to the customer.

MrBubbaHyde

join:2010-02-25
Shavertown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to pittpete1
I Know one thing, I would rather go back to sharing my 25-30mbps cable internet with the whole block, than share my lousy 2.6mbps with anyone! lol

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Heres the response email
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Peter,

Thank you for your due diligence – and I am aware of the congestion issues – and am working with our

DATA and engineering groups to work out a plan to relieve this. I am also willing to send a tech out

To make sure all is well in your home – at no charge to you. Please let me know if you want this

Set up. Again, thank you for your patience.

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Another response, looks like we are getting somewhere...
I'll keep my fingers crossed
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
Peter – I AM working with our engineering people – I need to have something verified in Greenhaven

Monday – as my CO tech is out sick today – with any hope – there may be something we can do for

You and your neighbors but will not know until this is complete. I will certainly keep you in the loop.

I will also let Eric know what our plan will be – this all came about this morning,

Again , thanks

pittpete1

Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pittpete1
Looks like my persistence is paying off......
Progress being made

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------

Good morning Peter,

Well there IS a light for you and our other customers in your area. My tech verified we can upgrade a

DS1 to a DS3 – to split between the 2 shelves in the Greenhaven remote. However – this will not happen

Overnight – as we have to find a seller for the DS3 uplink cards for the Lucent equipment. Our engineer

Is working on that today and will have date. We (my tech) then has to do some major rewiring in both

Our Hopewell office and the remote for this to work – then work with our Data group to share the traffic.

Once I have a date for the card delivery – I will have a better idea - .

Thanks again for your patience,

Gail