join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit

Hydro poll installed in middle of highway

Click for full size
»ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-bu···199.html
quote:
Stare hard at the photo above and you will notice that there is a massive hydro pole protruding inelegantly from the middle of that highway.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Thats obviously a cat or bear escape route in case they are caught by traffic when trying to cross the road. Should exist at all animal crosswalks.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto

2 recommendations

reply to Dustyn
Montreal...road construction...
corrupt or idiots hydro workers?
If it was in Markham there would be 100s of accidents by now.

"Hydro Pole In Middle Of Quebec Road Moved"

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11/20···122.html

"It survived there for two months. Fortunately, all the motorists who drove past it survived, too."

"The pole ended up there as the result of miscommunication between transport and utility officials following a months-long roadwork project."

miscommunication or just lazy and/or idiot people

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
It scary to see just how close some of those tire marks are on the road right beside the hydro pole. Imagine driving past that at night?? I guess it's safe because of the reflective sign they installed on it.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Dustyn
It wasn't installed. It wasn't removed during the construction of the road.

Basically the contractor was in a bind.

1) Submit cost over-runs for a month or more waiting (which cost over-runs are now part of a huge mafia conspiracy and inquiry in Quebec).

Or

2) Say frig it. Do the job. Submit no cost over-runs because Hydro Quebec didn't remove their pole. Finish the job per contract and not have fingers pointed at them that they are playing the system and skimming money off the top to give to the mafia.

#2 was clearly the best choice, in my opinion. I say good for them.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
You'd think they could at least line it up with the yellow lines.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to hm
Actualy it was fully installed... and motorists managed to avoid it. I thought the picture showed a clear representation of that but... oh well.

quote:
"It survived there for two months. Fortunately, all the motorists who drove past it survived, too."
»www.therecord.com/news/canada/ar···dro-pole
»www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11/20···122.html
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Trucks had to take the wider side in both directions. Imagine seeing the headlights of a truck on your side of the highway! Yikes!

Unfortunately, it's a symbol of the current state of affairs in Quebec.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

3 recommendations

reply to hm
said by hm :

Bzzzt. Absolutely false. The correct answer is to wait for Hydro Quebec to remove the pole, and then bill for cost due to delay. That is, at least, what would happen anywhere else in the country. Not only is Quebec the only place where such a dangerous and bullshit result that has the potential to put lives in danger ever occur, but it's probably the only place where someone would ever think that this is the "best choice" !

That photo pretty much sums up the sorry state of affairs in Quebec better than anyone could ever put into words, and your "good for them" response is precisely why it is in such a state.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
reply to Dustyn
GTA wussies....

Minor annoyance for most Que drivers.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Actualy it was fully installed... and motorists managed to avoid it. I thought the picture showed a clear representation of that but... oh well.

They could have at least put the right sign on it

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
said by Gone:

said by Dustyn:

They could have at least put the right sign on it

Or this?
»www.worldofstock.com/slides/MES2122.jpg
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Naw, that's better suited to overpasses in the Montreal area.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
True.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to milnoc
More accurate headline: "Highway installed around hydro pole"

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to Dustyn
This is real?

Not photoshopped? Not a prank?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by PX Eliezer70:

This is real?
Not photoshopped? Not a prank?

Yes, real. No, not photoshop or a prank.

To which, a friend of mine who is an engineer with NYSDOT was absolutely disgusted that this happened. Not only did he say that in the event of a lack of coordination between them and a utility they would find a way to take down the pole anyway, but he also said that it was gross negligence and misconduct for the construction crew to actually put down a highway like that.

If you look, it's not just the one pole in the middle of the highway - there's another right on the white line demarcation between the paved shoulder and a travel lane. As if one wasn't bad enough.

Sigh. Only in Quebec.

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to Dustyn
OMG. Idiocracy Quebec style For. The. Win.

Even I'm stunned, and I lived there for 3+ years!
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

1 edit
reply to Dustyn
Click for full size
There were actually 3 bad poles. News video here:

»news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/20···-uproar/
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

2 recommendations

reply to Dustyn
I betcha the reason why they removed the pole so fast is because someone stuck an English sign on it which got the language police involved!!! Priorities ya know!!

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by hm :

Bzzzt. Absolutely false. The correct answer is to wait for Hydro Quebec to remove the pole, and then bill for cost due to delay. That is, at least, what would happen anywhere else in the country. Not only is Quebec the only place where such a dangerous and bullshit result that has the potential to put lives in danger ever occur, but it's probably the only place where someone would ever think that this is the "best choice" !

The exact same thing happened in Barrie last year, during the relocation/reconstruction of a road...

Basically, the road sub was going to be penalized by the general contractor, for not hitting certain milestones (i.e. curbing, paving, etc) despite the fact that the utility hadn't relocated the poles yet... So the road crew did what they had to do, to NOT be penalized - it looked pretty much identical to the Quebec pic's, other then the lanes on either side of the pole were in the same direction (one straight, one right turn, IRC) - not opposing...

Happens all the time - artifical milestones are written into the contract, either attached to payment or penalty clauses. You can't expect one sub to take a hit because the GC or project manager can't get another sub to do their part in time, can you?

I agree it makes no sense, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen - and having been in similar positions (having to complete my portion of a larger project, before dependancies are completed, or facing fines/penalties) in the past - I totally understand why it was done. I'm not prepared to take money out of my own pocket, because someone else can't get their sh_t together...

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by LazMan:

I agree it makes no sense, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen - and having been in similar positions (having to complete my portion of a larger project, before dependancies are completed, or facing fines/penalties) in the past - I totally understand why it was done. I'm not prepared to take money out of my own pocket, because someone else can't get their sh_t together...

OK, but if there was an accident, all parties would be hauled into court for civil damages, and there could also be charges of criminal negligence involved.

If a death occurred, maybe even manslaughter or whatever it is called in Canada.

Can you imagine defending this in a civil or criminal trial?

So even from a purely monetary POV, the solution of "just do it and leave the pole there" is not good.

And---

If I were the [insurance company] for these contractors, I would hit the roof. I would drop their insurance coverage ASAP.

Insurance companies can't make a profit insuring the Three Stooges.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Dustyn
Also fully agree - but the problem would be for the project management and general contracting companies... They typically have oversight for the entire project; as well as the municipality - they (the city/county/village/etc) generally has to inspect a project, and declare it ready for traffic, before a road is opened to the public...

I've also been in situations that were handled correctly - the dates in my contract were amended, or the penalty clauses removed, when a dependancy wasn't in place in time ahead of me.

Like I said, it makes no sense to push ahead with a final parts of a job, when preparation and dependancies aren't in place first, but I totally get why stuff like this happens, too - tunnel-vision, and PM's that live to smack sub-trades with penaltys, even when the big picture view says otherwise...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Insurance companies can't make a profit insuring the Three Stooges.

This is Quebec. The whole province drives like the Three Stooges. Quebec is also a No Fault system, insured by the government.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to ArthurS
LOL, I was going to suggest something along those lines, if it had any English on it you can be sure it would have been ripped out much sooner.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

OK, but if there was an accident, all parties would be hauled into court for civil damages, and there could also be charges of criminal negligence involved.

Nope! Quebec's no fault insurance works both ways. Not only can you not sue other drivers for negligence, you can't sue the government either.

And in a province where shoddy mafia managed workmanship is the norm, the government isn't about to change that policy any time soon.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to Dustyn
I don't see why they don't have some kind of barriers around that, so its more apparent that there's a pole in the middle of the road. Those orange plastic barriers or some cement slabs or something...

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

you can't sue the government either.

Nah. You can. You can sue the municipality/city. Not sure about transport Quebec, but you likely could.

Think pot hole.

it's been a decade or maybe 2 decades since new laws came out preventing you from being able to sue the cities for pot hole damage. But that was taken to court back then. If a pot hole has been reg'd with the city for repair and you damage your car in it, then you win. Also, regardless if it's been reg'd or not, if the size meets a certain criteria (I forget the specifics dimensions) then again, you win. Basically there is no law that protects the municipality from negligence. This is negligence.

I'm just not sure who would be on the hook. Transport Quebec or the municipality. Or both.

If I had a crap car I would hit it on purpose and make a claim. Or I would borrow one of Peterboro's car's that sit on his front lawn

i LOLd

@videotron.ca
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

I don't see why they don't have some kind of barriers around that, so its more apparent that there's a pole in the middle of the road. Those orange plastic barriers or some cement slabs or something...

They did... But only just before they took the poles down. heh

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

The sign on it isn't even the kind of proper signage that is used for a middle-of-the-road obstacle Do you expect anything less?