Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to highwire2007

Re: Hydro poll installed in middle of highway

said by highwire2007:

What I think is preposterous is the term "hydro pole". "Telephone pole" or "utility pole", sure. But a water pole?

It looks especially silly to us Americans that you call all electricity "hydro".

AFAIK about half of Ontario's electricity is from nuclear plants....

And even Quebec has at least some electricity from nuclear and from fossil fuel, not even counting what they generate from hot air.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by PX Eliezer70:

It looks especially silly to us Americans that you call all electricity "hydro".

And it looks silly to us Canadians that you somehow manage to throw the name Edison into every power company in the Northeastern US, but whatever.

Oxidd

join:2010-02-24
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

How about
3. No correct way to do it.

If he chosen #1, though, the contractor would have had his legs broken and his kids head dismembered at per Quebec corruption mafia rules.

Nah, he would've been fine, it's not in Montreal/Laval.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

i agree this is ridicoulous but i can also see the contractors side of things, the asphalt plants shut down at the end of october, october always has a huge rush on asphalt so you want to get in and out.

Our asphalt plants shut the end of November.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

And even Quebec has at least some electricity from nuclear and from fossil fuel, not even counting what they generate from hot air.

Quebec is almost all hydro. Gentilly nuclear plant is shutting down. 3.6 % is thermal. See more here.
--

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by PX Eliezer70:

And it looks silly to us Canadians that you somehow manage to throw the name Edison into every power company in the Northeastern US, but whatever.

But Thomas Edison truly had a hand (or at least an investment) in every company that has his name---Consolidated Edison, Commonwealth Edison, Detroit Edison, and the rest.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by highwire2007:

What I think is preposterous is the term "hydro pole". "Telephone pole" or "utility pole", sure. But a water pole?

AFAIK about half of Ontario's electricity is from nuclear plants....

the one nuke is being shut down and the fossil fuel plants are only in the magdelaine islands/north because the grid doesnt reach. the typical consumer in quebec 99% gets its power from hydro

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Ok, so its Hydroelectric generated, but it's still freakin electricity that's on the poles or in your houses...

I've always wondered about the use of Hydro to call an electric utility company or the infrastructure on city streets, Hydro Pole, Hydro Vault, etc...

Is this terminology exclusively Canadian?
--

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by HiVolt:

I've always wondered about the use of Hydro to call an electric utility company or the infrastructure on city streets, Hydro Pole, Hydro Vault, etc...

Is this terminology exclusively Canadian?

Totally.
»schoolsincanada.com/Canadian-Sla···ases.cfm

It's one of the cute things about you guys.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
I guess i have to start calling them "Nuke Poles", cuz certainly the electricity in Toronto is Nuclear generated.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

But Thomas Edison truly had a hand (or at least an investment) in every company that has his name---Consolidated Edison, Commonwealth Edison, Detroit Edison, and the rest.

... to which, hydro electricity was the historical basis for all of our power in Ontario, and in the case of Quebec it still is.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to highwire2007
Yes, it should be called a uranium-watery-coal-gas-wind-solar pole. However given the amount of money these various Hydro corporations flush away every year, the name still fits.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

said by Gone:

said by PX Eliezer70:

So IOW it's OK for a name to have historical origins.

Canada is one of the very few countries in the world that produces the majority of its electric power from hydroelectric sources. Four provinces -- BC, MB, QC, and Nfld -- produce over 90% of their power that way.
--
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I guess i have to start calling them "Nuke Poles", cuz certainly the electricity in Toronto is Nuclear generated.

No, they should be called "electric" poles, but not for any of the reasons described above.

This is a general linguistic problem: using a non-obvious local name in a global context is ineffective for communication.
said by me, to my neighbor :

I was chatting with Tom last night, then went to Esther's

My neighbor knows exactly what I mean, but nobody here does, because I've used locally-familiar names that have no meaning outside my little circle.

If I wish you to understand, I'll replace the local names with a description, which ought to be globally understood:
said by me, to canchat :

I was chatting with my housemate last night, then went to the local Mexican restaurant.

Sometimes the local name is obvious enough that everybody will figure it out, and even if one claims that "Edison" is obvious (and I do not), there's no way that a term for water is obviously a term for electricity.

This is not a matter of right or wrong, but of being effective. Referring to them as "electric poles" (or "electric meter" or "electric bill") means everybody understands what you mean.

Steve — who refers to them as "electric poles" even to locals
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Steve:

This is a general linguistic problem: using a non-obvious local name in a global context is ineffective for communication.

Americans do not have a monopoly on the English language. You're in a Canadian forum. (most) Canadians know what a hydro pole, hydro meter or what a hydro company is. If you don't, the onus is on you to google the term "hydro pole" and see what comes up (hint: 'utility pole' on wikipedia is the first result, not electric pole), rather than crying and whining to a bunch of Canadians who aren't going to change their ways for an American who is too lazy to learn about about a colloquialism that exists beyond their own little corner of the Earth.

To summarize: piss off and go climb a hydro pole!

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Steve
Electric poles is incorrect too. You might call them electrical utility poles, but electric poles implies that they are electric.
--
Tom

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to Gone
Ok, so you care more about being right than you do about being effective. Got it.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Steve:

Ok, so you care more about being right than you do about being effective. Got it.

In the context of this discussion, hydro pole is correct. The English language is not yours alone to dictate what is what. Deal with it.

What's next, crying about a chesterfield or a parkade?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

said by Gone:

said by Steve:

In the context of this discussion, hydro pole is correct. Deal with it.

If he doesn't like "hydro", the next time there is a disaster in the US we just won't send our "hydro" workers.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Hear hear!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

If he doesn't like "hydro", the next time there is a disaster in the US we just won't send our "hydro" workers.

Or we'll just bring them water.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

2 recommendations

reply to Steve
said by Steve:

No, they should be called "electric" poles, but not for any of the reasons described above.

Steve, I have to disagree.

The world would be boring if the English alphabet always ended with zee instead of zed, if everyone drank soda and no one drank pop, if there were no pencil crayons, if there were only restrooms and no washrooms. If a two-four were just lumber rather than beer....

What is a [speakeasy] in New York is a [blind pig] in Detroit.

And a submarine sandwich might also be called a hero, a hoagie, or a grinder. Even a Sous-marin.

In being on a forum called Canadian Chat, one either already knows the local lingo, or will look it up.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to HiVolt

Polish punk rock band

Now HERE are some electric poles!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Dustyn

"Hydro poll installed in middle of highway"

I pity the people crossing the road to cast their ballots at the poll.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Steve
said by Steve:

In addition to the points already made by others, I will add that you seem to be assuming that language is planned and designed and then implemented according to design specifications. It isn't. It's an ad hoc evolution, which is why the English language is so varied and every-changing and seemingly filled with more exceptions than rules. And also why your point is moot.
--
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to hm
said by hm :

If I had a crap car I would hit it on purpose and make a claim. Or I would borrow one of Peterboro's car's that sit on his front lawn

I'm quite fond of each of the 15 cars parked on my front lawn but don't mind you wrapping them around a pole.

Where I do draw the line is subjecting them to travelling into Quebec under any circumstances.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Gone:

said by Steve:

In the context of this discussion, hydro pole is correct. Deal with it.

now if we factor in the 50/50 deal with bell canada we can always go back to calling em telephone poles since half the poles in quebec belong to bell

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Where I do draw the line is subjecting them to travelling into Quebec under any circumstances.

Zing!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

.... half the poles in quebec belong to bell

Just how many people of Polish descent are in Quebec anyway?

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to Dustyn
Too much fun, the monkey's ought to lock this one down tight.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/