Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mont

join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

1 edit

[hard drive] Brought PC to change Power supply now the hard driv

Hi , i brought my PC to the store to change the power supply and today i went to get it but now i hear the hard drive working and the vibration which i can feel it when putting my hand on the case , the case is an antec sonata III with the rubbers for the hard drives.

I plan on contacting then tommorow but i would like to know what it can be since i checked but all the rubbers are there.

Thanks

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Re: [hard drive] Brought PC to change Power supply now the hard

Check that the power and data cables from the hard drive(s) are not pressed up against the side of the case (behind them). If they are, it could be transmitting vibrations to the motherboard tray or case side panel, and resonating.
--
KI6RIT

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

2 edits

Thanks , i check and moved some esata and power supply wire from touching the casing but now i hear from time to time a vrm vrm noise , i took a video , il post the link so it will be better to understand.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRHE6rWK···youtu.be

at 22 seconds you can hear it better.

Thanks

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

It sounds like a raptor HDD doing writes.

Did you check to see if it is the same HDD you had in it before it went to the shop? I can't understand how a PSU change out gave you a noisy computer. Don't play with it, take it back and ask what they did and say it wasn't there before it went into the shop.

Be polite - even though I'd say more, and see what they say - they may turn it on and go "oops sorry, we will sort it".....at least you hope so if I'm reading this correctly.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to n_w95482

said by n_w95482:

Check that the power and data cables from the hard drive(s) are not pressed up against the side of the case (behind them). If they are, it could be transmitting vibrations to the motherboard tray or case side panel, and resonating.

Or the rubber mounts are missing altogether after hearing the video.

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC
reply to Mont

Thanks , yes it's the same hard drive , i never heard in the past the drive writing sound or that small vibration which seem to be from the hard drive.

The white rubber under the hard drive are there.

Il bring it back also the system was built there in 2007 and the guy who built it is still there so he know's that it should be quiet and yesterday i brought it , he checked but the place is noisy with all the other pc's running so he couldn't hear nothing but he told me to let it run and see and if it does again to bring it back.

I never had any problem with him so il be polite that's for sure but i will certainly want to have it like it was before.

Thank You

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Mont

Open the case and pull the HDD. You can run it temporarily without it being mounted. You will at least then confirm if it is the HDD or not. If it is, and it's mounted correctly, there isn't much you can do about it, aside replace it for a different quieter drive. If it's not the HDD, then you will need to isolate the cause.

From your statements so far, it doesn't appear that you are sure of the cause.
--
Google is your Friend

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

I did and found it's the hard drive , i have 2 hard drives and they are the same and one is quiet , i never use to hear the hard drive writing loud or that vibration , i have to bring it back tommorow and tell that the drive wasn't doing this before bring it for repair.

Thanks

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
reply to Mont

Maybe he clean the inside of the case with air and got dirt inside the drive. Or the drive got bumped and became out of alinement and is now making noise, maybe a few light taps on the desk will get it inline and it could stop making the noise.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Mont

Likely just coincidence. There isn't anything they would have done (ie: replacing the power supply) that would cause it. Most likely cause would be the bouncing around while moving it to/from the service center.

If it's that annoying, get a replacement.
--
Google is your Friend

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

1 edit

I wouldn't mind replacing it , their fee is 65 $ for the ghost which i would like to do it myself at that price.

Can someone tell me how do i do the ghost with 2 hard drives already and what is needed.

The replacement hard drive would be a western digital blue or a black for 21$ more , which one should i buy ?

Thanks

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

But the drive, most manufacturers have a free program available from their website that will permit you to clone or copy all the information to the new drive. WD uses a version of Acronis, its pretty simple to use.

I have used both the blue and the black. I have not had a failure with either drive, knock on wood. The black is their highest rated drive.

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

Thanks , i have already 2 hard drive in the computer so if i want to clone the new one how do i do it ?

Is the black faster ?

Thanks

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Instruction come with the manufacturers cloning software. The black drive has a higher reliability rating. It is not any faster.

Here is the link, install it and you can read through it to see what is involved.

»support.wdc.com/product/download···&lang=en

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

Thanks , this seem to be the procedure , remove back up drive to clone new drive , clone , replace hard drive with new one and put back back up drive.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to mmainprize

said by mmainprize:

Maybe he clean the inside of the case with air and got dirt inside the drive. Or the drive got bumped and became out of alinement and is now making noise, maybe a few light taps on the desk will get it inline and it could stop making the noise.

HDDs are sealed devices and I've never heard of that seal opeing up on its own. However, cleaning case fans and filters could allow more noise to be transmitted to the outside especially if they were plugged up from gunk.
That still doesn't account for the fact that one drive is noisier than the other though. My experience is that when a drive changes in sound it also has a change in errors. Have you run any diags on it?

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

It was tested for any bad sectors and the result said there was none.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Mont

This noise does not sound like a hard disk at all (to me anyway), it sounds like a fan whose motor is wearing down (possibly the fans need to be cleaned with paper towels), motor is misaligned or going bad (happens; fans are cheap), or fan blades which are rubbing up against the side of something.

It's very, very hard for me to discern any kind of "noise" from that video -- all I hear is two noises: a droning noise of a PC fan of some sort (not a very nice noise either, sounds whiny rather than like a whoosh), and a periodic grinding/growling noise that sounds like what I described in my previous paragraph.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

Thanks , i thought about the fan but i notice that as soon as the drive write it does that sound.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

said by Mont:

Thanks , i thought about the fan but i notice that as soon as the drive write it does that sound.

I'm sorry to say I can't really hear the difference in the video you provided. All I can hear are the two noises I mentioned -- the constant noise of what sounds like a very loud fan, and something growling/grinding that also sounds like a misaligned or faulty fan motor.

Do you have a stationary microphone or something you can place near/around the PC case (while it's open), particularly near the hard disk, then provide audio of the system idling (no disk I/O), then doing a large amount of disk I/O (specifically reading, then followed up with writing)?

I myself have incredibly sensitive hearing so I pick up on noises (especially high and low frequencies) that a lot of other people can't hear -- but recordings with a digital camera or mobile phone often do not work well given the quality.
--

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

Thanks , i blocked the case fan and the noise was still there so it might be the cpu fan but i didn't hear nothing also i did disconnect the hard drive and the noise wasn't there.

I don't have the computer since it's at the store and i had to go and get it friday but thursday i slip in the hallway and fell the stair to the basement in my house so i can't really lift nothing so il go get it when i feel better and il try to record the noise again.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to koitsu

I was reading down thru this after listening to the video thinking....Thats a fan with a non oiled bushing rattling.

Bumping the Fan can remedy this for the short term. You can put a small drop of oil on the sleeve bearing for a longer fix. Or buy a new fan.
If it turns out to be a fan issue. I honestly fix more fans then anything else anymore. There is a method to disassemble of them and the little "C" plastic white clip under the sticker on the back. Clean them with a stiff miniature paint brush gently as not to break the hair copper wire. Put one drop of your favorite thick oil ( I use Marvel Mystery Oil) and reassemble. This works with house fans as well.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA
reply to Mont

Your system has multiple fans; it may have one case fan, but there are also GPU fans that can make this same type of noise. You gotta narrow it down, but it shouldn't take too much time.

I agree with Tweakbl See Profile's analysis -- it really does sound like a fan and not a hard disk. I just replace fans rather than oil them, because more often than not the manufacturer doesn't provide a hole for access to the sleeve bearing (no reason for this either, other than to make you buy replacement parts rather than service/repair existing ones).
--

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

I bought the Hard Drive today and the noise is not there anymore as i did verify the fans and they are fine.

Thank you to everyone.

James_C

join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY
reply to bbear2

HDDs are not sealed. They all have a breather hole somewhere with a filter on it, so that as the air inside heats up, the correct pressure is maintained to keep the read/write head assembly at the proper height off the platter. However, they survive fine with dust caked up on them, it is still not at all likely that dusting out the system would harm it, but liquid getting in that vent hole would, as would anything completely impermeable blocking the vent altogether. Sometimes the vent is a visible hole and other times there's a channel under the cover to a gap on the side of the cover.

Either way, it seems like the HDD bearings were nearly shot and it was bumped enough to damage them to the point that they're now going to wear out fast. First step in a case like this should always be to copy off the most important data, then think about imaging the whole drive to a backup file or another drive. Don't even scan for errors first, sometimes drives have very little time left running before they fail completely.

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC

Thanks , i did a clone of the hard drive that same day.

Thanks