dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
share rss forum feed


VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
reply to PeeWee

Re: tripplite ups

Means it's getting warm. Try blowing out the fan intake with compressed air.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.



PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

Seems to be clean. I may take it apart to better check. How would I tell if the batteries are good?
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007



Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2

You can tell if the batteries are good by looking at the battery charge status LEDs on the front of the unit.

Freddy



koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to PeeWee

Regardless of what any "status LEDs" show, try taking the batteries out of the system and examining them for any kind of bulging (sides, top, bottom, etc.).

I myself just replaced two TrippLite UPSes of my own (not SMARTxxxSLT models, lower-end stuff) due to them mysteriously kicking over to battery power for no reason. They worked great for about 4 years. I ended up debunking that situation by purchasing a new UPS (see my profile for what brand/model) and hooking up the TrippLite "behind" that, with no devices hooked up to it, and waited. After a few days the TrippLite units (at separate times) would kick on battery power for a few seconds then kick back onto AC power -- while the UPS providing AC power showed no AC power loss whatsoever. The things just went bad from what I can tell.

Another story:

At my previous workplace we had a high-end (datacenter-grade) APC UPS with 11 external batteries linked/chained together for a multi-workstation NOC. So that's 12 batteries total.

After many years our UPS began to kick its fans on (very loud) on occasion. After 3-4 months of this (because nobody ever cares to do maintenance on things these days, sigh), the situation worsened when the area where the UPS + batteries were began to emit a high-pitch squealing noise that lasted 3-4 seconds, followed immediately by a very strong, nauseous smell which made a lot of people sick (of which I was one). I know it sounds funny, but it sounded like a fart. Once things got to that point I took matters into my own hands.

I examined the UPS + batteries found that of the 12 batteries we had, 5 were blazing hot to the touch (including the one which was inside the UPS). All 5 required using use of a prybar to bend the steel housing just to get the batteries out (due massive bulging), and one battery had what appeared to be a hole in it of some sort (still not sure from what; there was no white acid leaking from it).

We ended up replacing the 5 batteries which were in this condition and the UPS no longer kicked on its fan. The fan issue was caused by what VegasMan See Profile stated -- heat. The heat was caused by the batteries -- they were hot even when they weren't being charged, or possibly they thought they needed to be charged 24x7x365, I don't know. I just know that they were preposterously hot even when the last power outage was months prior.

However, the high-pitch noise continued, as did the toxic smell shortly afterwards.

It wasn't until we replaced the UPS entirely (giving me a chance to open it up and look at it) where we found many of its internal capacitors were bulging. My theory was that the capacitors would hold a charge most of the time, but occasionally would (quite literally) leak electrolyte, which is highly toxic. Leaking caps often tend to emit a high-pitch noise.

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.