spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simon726

join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

Which particular ISP in Canada offers multiple dynamic IPs?

Out of curiosity - I was wondering if there are any ISPs in Canada that offer multiple dynamic (DHCP) IP addresses.

I remember one time that Shaw offered that instance - 10 years ago. Not sure if they are still doing it. I know Rogers doesn't do that - unless you request to add one to your account.

If my memory serves me right (and this was 10 years ago), I once tried to connect two computers to the internet - using a simple hub. While I was able to share files and folders between these computers in a "wired" fashion, I was "powerless" on completing this objective. As it turns out, I bought a wired router and all is hunky dory.

I have since gone wireless and times do have changed. Anyways, does anyone know which particular ISP in Canada offers multiple dynamic IP addresses?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
Nobody offers multiple dynamic IPs (which is technologically difficult if not impossible), but many ISPs offer multiple static IPs, which will serve you just as well, since there are no legitimate advantages to dynamic IPs.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MavygR

join:2012-11-18
reply to simon726
I was under the impression that one could acquire a static IP just by changing the router settings. Are there companies that don't allow that (or even port forwarding)?

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

there are no legitimate advantages to dynamic IPs.

Oh? That's news to me.

I would prefer dynamic instead of continually being tracked by one set of numbers.

So I wouldn't say there is no advantage to it. But rather, to you, in your use and your opinion, and to your understanding, you find no need for dynamic. Other still do prefer it.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to MavygR
said by MavygR:

I was under the impression that one could acquire a static IP just by changing the router settings. Are there companies that don't allow that (or even port forwarding)?

static IP has nothing to do with the router in your home. It's all setup on the ISP side.

Netbugger

@rogers.com
reply to Guspaz
Rogers used to do it for $9.99 additional per month. Not sure if they're still able to do it. Then you'd just put a switch behind the modem.

Not sure why it would be difficult, as Guspaz says (genuinely curious, could you elaborate on that?).

devcore

join:2008-07-26
Pickering, ON
reply to simon726
said by simon726:

Out of curiosity - I was wondering if there are any ISPs in Canada that offer multiple dynamic (DHCP) IP addresses.
[...]

I am not sure I understand your question, but when it comes to DSL, it is trivial to obtain multiple dynamic IP's (although, depending on the ISP, they may or may not like you doing it).
E.g., if you setup a DSL modem in a bridge mode and connect two routers to it, each router will be able to establish a PPPoE session and acquire a different dynamic IP.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to simon726
Go with DSL that uses PPPoE. Each time the modem re-connects you get a new IP. I generally had a new IP each day when I was on DSL. With cable I go around 4-8 months with the same IP before it changes.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to simon726
Many of them offer this.

Bell DSL & wholesale allow you multiple concurrent PPPoE sessions, unofficially.You can connect to your DSL modem via switch/hub and get multiple dynamic ip addresses.

you could do for instance connect 3 different routers to a switch which is connected to a dsl modem,

each would have their own dynamic IP, established by PPPoE.

I believe telus allows you to do the same thing (or at least they did), except they use DHCP and restrict you to 2 IPs maximum.

As for multiple 'dynamic' IPs assigned as a block to 1 router, I don't think that exists.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to simon726
Bell's new official policy (as of this month) is to ban customers who connect more than a single simultaneous PPPoE session.

Getting multiple dynamic IPs through multiple PPPoE sessions is easy (but not really allowed), but it's not a correct solution. Getting multiple dynamic IPs through a single PPPoE session, that's hard.

The difficulty comes from the fact that while an ISP can route multiple IPs to a PPPoE endpoint (your router), the protocol, as far as I know, only has provisions to inform you of one of those IPs. So they'd have no way to tell you what IPs that were allocated to you. It works with multiple static IPs because your ISP told you in advance what they would be.

For cable, upon further thought, it wouldn't be so hard, I guess they'd just have to remove the MAC-locking that prevents more than one machine from making a DHCP request to the modem. But then you'd have no router to manage traffic, leading to local congestion scenarios, which isn't ideal.
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
said by Guspaz:

For cable, upon further thought, it wouldn't be so hard, I guess they'd just have to remove the MAC-locking that prevents more than one machine from making a DHCP request to the modem. But then you'd have no router to manage traffic, leading to local congestion scenarios, which isn't ideal.

In fact cable often allows 2 IPs now. Not official, like the multiple PPPoE session thing, but you can sometimes do it.
--
electronicsguru.ca

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
I recall years ago like in 98 i paid $5 bucks extra a month to rogers for a second ip on my cable modem.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Cloneman

Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Bell's new official policy (as of this month) is to ban customers who connect more than a single simultaneous PPPoE session.

wow, way to drop a bombshell on us ...

Anyway who your source is, but I can tell you there are tens of thousands of customers on 2wire or similar hardware that connect twice because they are using their own router and haven't bothered to remove their login details from inside the 2wire..

Stands to wonder they'd suddenly want to crack down on this after allowing fifteen simultaneous PPPoE sessions per line for years and years...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to simon726
»À partir du 19 novembre prochain....
--

Cloneman

Montreal
Looks like this doesn't affect wholesale yet then?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to simon726
Well, Bell scared wholesalers into similar limitations years ago... You'll notice that nobody sells secondary logins anymore?
--

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
reply to simon726
I know for sure that Cogeco used to offer 2 or 3 IPs on all but their lite package. It used to say that on their site too. Here's a thread from 2003 talking about using multiple IPs on Cogeco.

But now that all their packages have changed, I don't know if that's the case, and their website is silent on the issue.

So the only way to know is to try it out. Hook up a switch to the modem and plug two computers into the switch. If both computers get Internet IPs, then you're golden!

simon726

join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON
said by cybersaga:

Hook up a switch to the modem and plug two computers into the switch. If both computers get Internet IPs, then you're golden!

Which particular cable should I use for linking my two computers and the modem? Straight through or Crossover?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Cloneman
said by Cloneman:

Stands to wonder they'd suddenly want to crack down on this after allowing fifteen simultaneous PPPoE sessions per line for years and years...

Yes, why would they want to prevent users from abusing their service and using up IP addresses that could go to legit customers instead of customers doing stupid things with their service.

As if its such a surprise that companies do go back and review policies or configuration decisions from the past.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to hm
said by hm :

I would prefer dynamic instead of continually being tracked by one set of numbers.

As if having a dynamic address makes it anymore difficult to track you.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
reply to simon726
said by simon726:

Which particular cable should I use for linking my two computers and the modem? Straight through or Crossover?

Straight through if you're going into a switch.

If I remember correctly, you only use a crossover if you're going from one computer directly into another - although, I think newer network cards are smart enough to use a straight-through for that too since it's worked for me before.

Etobicoke, ON
said by cybersaga:

said by simon726:

Straight through if you're going into a switch.

If I remember correctly, you only use a crossover if you're going from one computer directly into another - although, I think newer network cards are smart enough to use a straight-through for that too since it's worked for me before.

Unless you're using old equipment it does not matter if you use a crossover cable or not. Anything with a GigE port and the vast majority of equipment nowadays with a FastE port uses PHY which supports Auto MDI/MDIX which removes the necessity to use a crossover cable when interconnecting host to host or switch to switch. Only one end of the link requires this. As in if you have a reasonably new enough switch you don't have to worry about whether the devices connected to it support Auto MDI/MDIX or not.