uniqs
share rss forum feed

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to simon726

Re: Which particular ISP in Canada offers multiple dynamic IPs?

said by simon726:

Which particular cable should I use for linking my two computers and the modem? Straight through or Crossover?

Straight through if you're going into a switch.

If I remember correctly, you only use a crossover if you're going from one computer directly into another - although, I think newer network cards are smart enough to use a straight-through for that too since it's worked for me before.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by cybersaga:

said by simon726:

Which particular cable should I use for linking my two computers and the modem? Straight through or Crossover?

Straight through if you're going into a switch.

If I remember correctly, you only use a crossover if you're going from one computer directly into another - although, I think newer network cards are smart enough to use a straight-through for that too since it's worked for me before.

Unless you're using old equipment it does not matter if you use a crossover cable or not. Anything with a GigE port and the vast majority of equipment nowadays with a FastE port uses PHY which supports Auto MDI/MDIX which removes the necessity to use a crossover cable when interconnecting host to host or switch to switch. Only one end of the link requires this. As in if you have a reasonably new enough switch you don't have to worry about whether the devices connected to it support Auto MDI/MDIX or not.