Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

S1R1US

join:2002-08-25
Clearwater, FL
reply to moldypickle

Re: [Connectivity] Terrible Ping during downloads/games

Only downside is most users think their provider is biased, so without realizing it they can tend to provide biased information to their provider. Human nature. -_- We've all done it in some way shape or form, at some point. I try to always recommend the same in conjunction with fact checking with an unbiased community like here on dslr so that any lost confidence in the provider can be regained or reinforced.

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX
reply to Sakki54

It would be nice to know what on your laptop is consuming all of your upload bandwidth. Perhaps it spread to the rest of your network just not as severe?

SDL L3Tech

join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX
kudos:28

1 edit
reply to Sakki54

Click for full size
Cable Modem
Click for full size
Customer Equipment
Here are the Pingplotter graphs for the past 6 hours. First one is to the modem's private IP and the second is to your equipment. The (edit) bandwidth graph is not picking up any bandwidth spikes though like I mentioned before, the graph is not very granular. If the bandwidth usage is a brief burst of traffic then the bandwidth graph will likely not pick it up. Pingplotter picks up all of the latency because it polls every second.

There is a possibility that the modem's Ethernet port may be having a problem. Traffic to the private IP of the modem itself does not go through the Ethernet port but traffic to your Public IP does.

You might ask the local office to swap your modem. Or you can ask them to provide you with a dedicated Docsis 3.0 modem and move your internet service from your current combo modem to the new modem. You'll need to pick up a coax splitter to get both modems online at the same time.

Sakki54

join:2012-11-20
Tyler, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I currently have a: "ARRIS DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem". If I were to switch to a Docsis 3.0 what would I do? Call the local support and ask for an upgrade? I got a new modem, same model, a few months ago and about 1month before I had problems with the ping.

@S1R1US Sorry. I didn't really think that skipping the router was that important but I've done it now.

@Moostang I dunno what's up with that laptop. It's the only device that does that and it'l do it if it's sitting at the desktop with nothing running or if it has 50 things downloading.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX

No, not an upgrade. A split. The modem you have right now is a combo Phone/Data modem and it's docsis 2.0. A docsis 3.0 modem would be dedicated to data and would allow your connection to bond to multiple downstreams. If you don't want to try two modems, just get a new combo modem and try that. It may not help anyway if the problem is not the modem.

In regards to the Laptop, it must have something running to generate enough bandwidth to saturate your upstream. If there is not a legitimate application doing it then run anti-virus and anti-spyware software to try to figure it out.

Sakki54

Tyler, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Sakki54

My ping was going good tonight. It was a steady ~12ms ping and ~6mbps dl. Not what I'm supposed to get, speed wise, but better than normal. So I plugged my router back in to see and my ping spiked back up to the ~300ms and dl went back down to 1.5-3. Then I bypassed my router again and the problem was still there. It wasn't there before my router, but was there during and after.

Note: I had the wifi part of the router disabled to make sure no other devices were interfering. The only device connected to the router was my computer.

S1R1US

Clearwater, FL
reply to Sakki54

Have there been any new developments on this?

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Sakki54

Interestingly enough, my own cable modem is on this same downstream group, though different node (same bandwidth pipe) and I am not experiencing this latency. However, I am using a Docsis 3.0 modem.

I started a couple more PingPlotter traces to modems near you Sakki to see if those too have the latency of if it's localized to your connection.

SDL L3Tech

Tyler, TX
reply to Sakki54

Sakki, I ran plots to a modem before and after your house number and did not see the extreme latency. One was a combo telephony modem and one was a normal Docsis 2 modem. This has to be a localized problem. Have you contacted your local office to swap the modem or split telephony and data services between two modems?

S1R1US

Clearwater, FL

This has to be one of the best displays of thorough troubleshooting I've seen. Very well done SuddenLink. Attempting to duplicate results with immediate neighbors is an excellent way to uncover a pattern, or lack there-of.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2

Why he gets the big bucks, LOL

Sakki54

Tyler, TX
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to SDL L3Tech

Hey, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I've been very busy and unable to get the new modem, until I was finally able to go and get one today. I also got an upgrade from 15-30 for $10 cheaper... I'll come and reply in a day or two and see if the problem still persists.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2

Steps up a tier, get 10 bux cheaper. Why on earth am I never able to get these deals......